• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Full height to 2x half height tray kinda thingie (for XT286)

Well, that article pretty much sums up why the 5162 is uncommon out in the wild, doesn't it?
It certainly does.

According to the article, IBM indicated that the 5162 "fills a product line gap between the XT and AT models". Of course, that could just be marketing spiel given at release time.

It was always my understanding that the XT286 was brought out to use up a surplus of 5160 cases that IBM had on hand.
I have never subscribed to that. I just can't see IBM going though the resource intensive act of designing then producing a new motherboard, new power supply, and new documentation set, just to use up surplus cases.
For a moment there, you made IBM sounded almost Osborne. Luckily for IBM, in order for anything to happen, everything has to be checked, signed off, rechecked, and then signed off again. It was said that under the management model of the time, it would've taken IBM six months to ship an empty box...

Well, that article pretty much sums up why the 5162 is uncommon out in the wild, doesn't it?
Of course, in reality, it sometimes had more and sometimes had less performance. I wonder why IBM did not create a 8Mhz zero wait state AT.

Oef, I missed all these posts I think....
Could anyone measure the below black plate for me ? I can have them reproduced probably then.
So top to bottom, left to right, small bit on the bottom, height of the holes, width of the holes, distance to the holes from top/left etc etc (quite a bit of work)
Would be much appeciated!

This is the early way that IBM did it - the black plate that Chuck referred to.
I don't have an XT286 and so I don't know if there is a subtle chassis variation that allows/prevents its use in an XT286.

ibm_side_plate_1.jpg

Below is the later way that IBM did it.
The side plate attached to the drives is what I was sure that per was referring to ("4 holes").

ibm_side_plate_2.jpg

Aah excellent, so just ordered some online, lets see if the dimensions work out as I have entered them online :)
Went for aluminium, not sure if that is the best choice but fitted the original thickness.

Back