• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Game Suggestions?

arfink

Experienced Member
I am thinking of doing some vintage game reviews, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I have an Apple IIgs, Tandy 102 and 200, NES, Gameboy, and Neo Geo at my disposal for playing, as well as emulation.

I'm looking for anything you'd like to see reviewed, whether good or horrible or maybe you just don't remember the game at all. I'll be giving these a fresh look and posting perhaps 2 reviews a week during the month of january as part of my Retrochallenge project.

Have you followed the RetroGaming Times Monthly? They used to run a series of cross reviews for home conversions of common coin-op games, rank each version against the other and determine which conversion was most playable. However it was a few years ago they stopped having that feature. It would be a nice touch if you like to try it, perhaps some of the more obscure coin-op conversions.

Review Metagalactic Llamas for the C64. I love that game and am curious to see what a "reviewer" thinks of it.

There was a somewhat interesting gaming magazine a friend showed me. I guess it was their 200th magazine so they decided to fill it with the top 200 games of all time. It was interesting although being a magazine they probably only posted the name of 100 of them and some were rewarded with a picture and paragraph explaining their choice.

They had a lot of classics in there which was nice although I admit I haven't beat that many games from start to finish.

It might be difficult to fully appreciate some of the vintage games though as their original reviews. I mean did you know the Gameboy won the award for the best game system music the year or two it came out? Compared to what was out there at the time certain games were breakthrough. SNES games ended up having actual bands recorded for the soundtracks which was new (not sure who was the first but recall Spiderman: Seperation Anxiety having "Green Jelly" as the band that wrote the music for the game).

Other things I wasn't aware of but would see how the respect could be missed now vs then are things like Ms. Pacman which sped the game up and had better "AI" for the ghosts. I had a friend who loves this game and sought the arcade system out for quite a while while I who didn't really play either didn't understand how one could be so much better than the other. I guess you kinda had to play both and not have any other options.

Anyway, this wasn't to knock the idea.. I think any reviews of vintage games would be great. Maybe even take a look at mobygames and see what games don't yet have screenshots or reviews and fill in some blanks. I just thought I'd pipe up in the event some folks didn't understand why some old games get so much hype.

One of my favorite games to date (not really vintage) was Hardwar. One of the first games I ever entered a world full of NPCs that couldn't give less of a crap about you unless you have something of value. Then you can expect to be targeted and shot at by one of the money hungry scavengers. It's always been interesting to me to see games that play themselves and you are just one more person in the world.

Protip: in the classic gaming realm, there's TONS of reviewers for say NES, Genesis, SNES and even Neo Geo.

However Tandy/C64/Apple // reviewers? Not so much.

It'd benefit the classic gaming community very well to see some classic computing reviews. Especially in North America, the info is hard to find to say the least, unless you want to dig through older British mags.

Protip: in the classic gaming realm, there's TONS of reviewers for say NES, Genesis, SNES and even Neo Geo.

However Tandy/C64/Apple // reviewers? Not so much.

It'd benefit the classic gaming community very well to see some classic computing reviews. Especially in North America, the info is hard to find to say the least, unless you want to dig through older British mags.

That's a great idea!! I'd love to see some of those reviews, especially the Tandy and C64 games. Arfink, have you ever heard of Classic Video gamer Magazine? I write for them and it actually gets printed :) Retro computer games wou7ld be a great addition! The editor's name is Mike, a really great guy.

Nathan

Wow, thanks for all the input! Actually, I was thinking retro computer game reviews would be best, and to do them with real hardware as much as possible. Which means that C64 might be out for now. Unless I can get an emulator working in Linux, which could be tricky. However, I do have my Apple II and my Tandy 102 and 200, so I could review games with those. And I was thinking if I do review games for any consoles they'd have to be somewhat obscure titles. But yeah, mostly Apple II for the moment.

And @nathan, that sounds like fun! I'm giving the review writing a whack during the RetroChallenge, but if the magazine is interested in having articles I'd actually be kinda interested.

Back