• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 2000 4SX-25 error codes on start-up

I give up... I think something is fried on this MB. I'm using known good drives, etc. I verified all jumpers were set correctly, the battery is new, the memory is correct, I reset the BIOS settings to get this far and I get this message:

1.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	186.4 KB ID:	1209501

You may have a bad hard drive. Have you tried setting CMOS to no hard drive and not hooking one up? Try booting from just a floppy drive. If that works then look at the IDE connector on the motherboard, inspect the cable or try a few different ones, and make sure the hard drive is set for single/master.

There is no option in setup for no hard drive or booting from just the floppy. I tried two different hard drives that are known good and neither worked... tried two different known good cables, still nothing... I'm sending the computer back. Thank you to everyone that responded.

Did you make sure the IDE cables were in the correct orientation? A lot of older systems don't have keyed IDE connectors and let you flip them any which way around, even allowing you to go off the connector and miss a couple of pins.

Back