• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 2000 Crystal Scan 1572DG Monitor restoration. Gateway manuals

Zippy Zapp

Experienced Member
Hi All. I recently found a Gateway 2000 CrystalScan monitor to put with my Gateway 4DX2-66. This was the same model monitor I got with my original Gateway 4SX-25 back in 1994. I always liked the picture quality of this monitor. Coming from a 1084 monitor with an Amiga I remember loving how crystal clear the text was.

So when I found one for really cheap I was worried about the shipping and arriving safe. It was packed well and did arrive good. It fired right up and displayed very clear text. I was happy. I cleaned and restored the outside of the case but have yet to open it up.

After the clean I noticed the text was now CYAN. I thought maybe a lose VGA cable but it was not. A tap to the side of the monitor changed the colors back to normal. So I am guessing there is some solder joints that need to be fixed?

Is there any sort of service manual or any manuals for this monitor or any Gateway vintage hardware from this era, really? I know they produced really good documentation but besides some Gateway Solo laptops and newer computers that I don't care about there does not seem to be any repository for any of the old Gateway 2000 systems and components. Am I just not looking in the right places? I find it hard to believe that no one has scanned this stuff already.

Is there anyone here that has worked on one of these and have any suggestions seeing how the color is affected by some sort of short with tapping from what I can tell?

Well as an update if anyone else ever has this type of problem. The issue was on the neck board. The VGA connector goes from the back to the neck board where it is connected via a molex type connector on the PCB. There is another connector next to it that is also PCB mount and includes many of the voltages like 5V, 6.3v, 12v, 170v. Just about all those solder joints were failing. I reflowed all of them and the problem seems to be gone.

For some other details this monitor was made for Gateway by GoldStar with a picture tube from Hitachi. I was not really a fan of GoldStar back in the day as they were somewhat known as making pretty low quality consumer electronics. They did make a decent monitor though and back in the 80s and 90s it wasn't always apparent what manufacturer actually made your monitor. They did eventually turn into the LG (Lucky GoldStar) we know today and they make decent TVs.

My monitor was from January 1994 putting it near the timeframe of the computer.

It still would be nice to have full documentation and service manuals though.

Back