• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Gateway 2000 P5 motherboard

TravisHuckins

Experienced Member
Considering my Gateway 2000 P5-90 motherboard might be messed up beyond repair... the rest of the system seems fine. If anyone has a P5 motherboard I would like to know. I'm looking for something that uses modern CMOS batteries like the P5-120.

Perhaps I should ask if a P5-120 motherboard would work with a P5-90 case?

Last edited:
I'll keep your offer in mind. Waiting on a part to see if it fixes my P5-90 board. Though I've noticed that P5-120 uses a modern-ish 20 pin power supply connector so I would have to get a new power supply.

Well after the new DS12887 arrived still no post so I think I need that motherboard. Just to clarify, it does have a really battery and not a RTC right?

I'm still looking for a P5-90 board (one with socketed 12887 or battery mod) or a better board with cr2032 that will work with a Gateway P5-90 case...

There is currently an Intel P5 motherboard on eBay, but it doesn't have a socketed RTC. IIRC Gateway also used Micronics boards for quite some time, so you might want to try searching for a Micronics board (Socket 5?) if you haven't already. Unless you want the Gateway 2000 BIOS. Im thinking your Gateway probably has the two PS/2 port holes? Most Gateways from the mid-90s did.

Here's the link

Last edited:
There is currently an Intel P5 motherboard on eBay, but it doesn't have a socketed RTC. IIRC Gateway also used Micronics boards for quite some time, so you might want to try searching for a Micronics board (Socket 5?) if you haven't already. Unless you want the Gateway 2000 BIOS. Im thinking your Gateway probably has the two PS/2 port holes? Most Gateways from the mid-90s did.

Here's the link

Yeah I'm currently looking at a Micronics board and it appears it might have some weird socketing mechanism which would be better than having soldered directly to the board. The seller is going to take a look at it for me and that might be the board I decide to get.

Yeah I'm currently looking at a Micronics board and it appears it might have some weird socketing mechanism which would be better than having soldered directly to the board. The seller is going to take a look at it for me and that might be the board I decide to get.

The Micronics boards are probably the best choice being that there fairly common and usually not too expensive. The only problem I have with them is the RTC like you mentioned, I'm not sure they made any Socket 5 (maybe 7 too?) boards that took coin cell batteries.

Back