• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 486 DX 33Mhx

I definitely like them and here's my Gateway 2000 story. Warning geek nostalgia ahead...;)

The first DOS computer I bought (I had 286 and 386 systems before that, but never paid a cent for them) was a Gateway 4SX-25, a 25Mhz 486 SX. It was in the mini desktop case and I ordered it with a 15" Crystal scan monitor. I had seen the monitor in action at a friends house and was amazed at how clear it was. I liked the fit and finish that was provided by Gateway 2000 in the early 1990's so I knew I had to have one for my DOS usage.

So yeah, I used to think Gateway 2000 was in a class all their own, at least when they were doing sales mainly via phone orders. Those huge thick cow boxes that showed up were classic. A year or so later I replaced that 486 with a P5-60 in the full AT desktop case. Still pre-win95. A couple years later I upgraded that to a Gateway G6 or something like that. It was a MMX P1 233mhz with a DVD drive and a MPEG2 Decoder board for playing DVDs that were brand new at the time. It was at about that time that Gateway started going down hill. That model was buggy and temperamental to say the least. Froze all the time, so I ditched it. My last Gateway was a Solo Laptop that eventually had to be sent back with a faulty motherboard. After that it was a decent laptop.

Then came the Country stores and their computers went from really being the Cadillac of the DOS era to the Pacer. They dropped the 2000 part of their name sometime between 98 and 2000 and continued to go down. After they were bought by Acer all their computers were basically rebranded Acer stuff. Cheap Junk®.

But yeah I like the early to late 1990's Gateway 2000. I even got offered a decent job with them 20 years ago or so when they were in Sioux City but I just couldn't leave my homeland.

Nice machines in the 386 to Pentium II era when they ditched the gold Gateway2000 logo. I have a few of them plus Solo laptops.

Ahh, they started going down hill before 2000 but yeah 98-99. They dropped the 2000 from their name on October 31, 1998 according to wikipedia.

I just noticed the other two threads with parts two and three of your video linked. Why not post them in this thread since they are all related to the same computer? They may get lost in the postings on this forum.

The Sony CDU-33A does not read CD-(R)W/ROMs from my recollection. So in case you throw one in also try with a regular silver CD-ROM. :)

Gateway 2000 also shipped PCs with the LMSI (Philips) CD-ROM units for a while. Now that is a rare item.

Took me a lot of chores and other work to finally being able to afford a CD-ROM back in 1993/4. I then bought a CDU-33A. Loved it. Green and orange lights. :)

Back