• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.

GEM and floppy disks

evildragon

Veteran Member
I'm having a problem with GEM for my model 25. It works great, I even used the desktop.app from OpenGEM on Gem3, and it works fairly ok.

There is just ONE problem. Sometimes when trying to read a floppy disk, it just fails saying the drive is not ready, it never even tries. And if I quit GEM, it's stuck at the DOS prompt with general failure reading drive A:, and I have to fail it. If I try to use A:, same thing, failure, never even tries.

If I reboot the computer cold, floppy drive works just fine, load GEM, try and read a floppy immediately with a disk in, works fine then. If I try to format the floppy, bottom half of the screen gets garbled and it locks up (but the mouse cursor moves).

Any ideas?

EDIT: Even after a reboot and seeing Gem use a floppy drive just fine, just quitting GEM seems to shut down the floppy drive.

This is so strange, and annoying.

Last edited:

JohnElliott

Veteran Member
GEM doesn't do anything funny with the floppy drive (though I wouldn't trust formatting a floppy from within Desktop.App; it's quite possible I broke that.) I'm pretty sure it just uses the normal DOS functions.

haiku

I have a PS/2 model 25 too and I cannot get run GEMini with supported MCGA video mode. Maybe the driver spsc9.vga isn't right for the video card?