• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Geneve 9640 help

Atticus

Today I picked up a Geneve 9640 system which I thought was a Ti 99/4a. The computer hasn't been used in about seven years and the MDOS disk was coated with a layer of dust, as well as the back up disk so I can't boot up the computer. The machine came with over 500 floppy disks and I've been looking through them trying to fond another copy but have so far had no luck.

I was wondering if anyone might have another copy of MDOS or know where I might get one as some of the floppies contained software specifically for the Geneve and I'd like to make back ups of them.

-atticus

Haven't heard of anyone in this group having a Geneve. You might check out Yahoo Groups' TI-88/4a group. I know there are several Geneve users there.

Good luck with it!

Didn't someone post maybe a year ago how to clean dust off those floppies. With soap and water iirc.

here are a few threads on the subject.

http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=13144

http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/mediaFloppies-c.html

It was Tezza that made a post/blog about that awhile ago.

It works too - I had a couple floppies that were dirty so with nothing to lose, I gave it a try. It let me get the info off the disk onto a new floppy.

I also had a couple that wouldn't read because they had been stored in a magazine, and the jacket was permanently (although only slightly) bent. Cut the old jacket open, slipped the disk in a new jacket, and then they read fine.

Just make sure you've clean the R/W heads before you try copy the info. No use having dirty heads mess up a freshly cleaned disk.

Thanks for the info guys. I also found another back up disk of mdos so I'll try that one as soon as I get the computer set up. There are also copies of Funnelweb 4.31, 4.4, and 5.0 as well as a lot of papers on local BBS' and early internet service providers if anyone is interested.

There's actually a geneve9640 group on Yahoo! with a relatively active group of users. I do have one as well, but one also has to have a version of MDOS compatible with the hardware you have. Later versions require a couple of hardware mods to work--the mods are easy, but their lack can be frustrating if you didn't know you needed them. Images of the MDOS disks are on the WHTech FTP site and also on the file repository of the geneve9640 group.

There's actually a geneve9640 group on Yahoo! with a relatively active group of users. I do have one as well, but one also has to have a version of MDOS compatible with the hardware you have. Later versions require a couple of hardware mods to work--the mods are easy, but their lack can be frustrating if you didn't know you needed them. Images of the MDOS disks are on the WHTech FTP site and also on the file repository of the geneve9640 group.

I would think that the computer is up to date, the last file was from 2005. Thanks for the information. : )

I second the notion of the yahoo group. As Jim said, The hardware must match the software or you will be in a land of confusion. I got a Geneve a couple of years ago and was hopeless until put in touch with these guys.

It's a really neat and rare bird you have there. Good luck !

Back