• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Geoworks

Big Blues

Experienced Member
All this talk about OS/2 got me wondering if anyone else ever used Geoworks on the PC? I used Geowork Pro for at least a couple years. Their word processor and desktop publisher apps were great. Multitasking was better than MS. It was one slick GUI at even ran decently on 8088's. Unfortunately 3rd party support never really took off.

I still have all the disks & manuals somewhere at my parents' place. I'd love to get it back up and running on a machine again.

Somewhere I still have a BeOS CD too. That was another neat underdog (someone else just mentioned it in the PC section).

My first 386 PC came with DOS and Geoworks (my previous systems that I still owned were a C-64 and Amiga 500, the latter of which remained my primary system more or less). It was 386 SX-20 from Magnavox that came with 1 or 2MB of RAM (later upgraded to 5MB, and much later with a 2X CD-ROM). The sales rep at the time assured me that it could run Windows programs, but of course, GEOS couldn't, so we did buy Windows 3.1 after a while. I always admired Geoworks and used it for quite some time, even if just as a DOS program launcher. It had a nice version of Tetris built-in. The OS shell was fast and slick, but yeah, I don't recall any "native" applications for it other than those produced by Berkely themselves. We never got much beyond Geo Publish and some clip art if I recall correctly. All told, I probably used GEOS much more on my Commodore 64c than on the PC (and later on my Tandy Zoomer), but I certainly made sure it was available to me for a number of years, even when we upgraded to a Gateway Pentium 90 with 16MB of RAM...

I definitely still have all my GEOS stuff, both on the C-64 and 128, and also the DOS stuff. I sold the Tandy Zoomer for a nice profit back in the mid-90s, something I haven't been apt to do for quite some time (i.e., sell off any part of my collection).

Back