• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good screensaver for older pc's

amico

I have find this old screensaver on internet,is "Instant Paradise by Raphael Salgado and Fred Feldman".
Is written in 1988 and is 19 year old.
Is a good screensaver for early pc,puts you on the beach of a
beautiful tropical island.
I have open this in my linux pc,in a Debian Dosbox emulator and i like this,is very beautiful,bring new life on older pc.
You can try this for me,to write your comment and opinions? The authors encourage to freely distribute this program to user groups,hackers and friends.
This file is hosted here http://cd.textfiles.com/pslmonthly25/words/dos/gr_anima/instpar.com
Only 57 kb,easy download with slow connections :)

Last edited:
No reply? :(
i like if people open this screensaver to write your comments and opinions!

screensavers are on the top of the list of things NOT to be trusted. Most computer people won't touch a screensaver with a 10 foot pole.

why?

why?

why most people won't touch a screensaver with a 10 foot pole?

...even more true in the early windows days, screen savers were system crashers.

Instead try yigart.exe, it's a little program that you run when you leave your pc for a while, that turns off with the esc key. Works best on 8086-80386 era systems. Does *not* work on new systems (XP, Vista)

Here is a link
http://www.vintagecomputer.net/ibm/programs/

The WHY is because bored stupid kids decide to write a program that erases your hard drive, they tell you that is a GREAT SCREENSAVER and laugh when all your data is gone. Has been that way for 16 years at least now.

That's true -- I could try it out on my AT&T Globalyst 200S - oooooo, if I lost that 333 MB hard drive, I just don't know....

Thanks for appreciated this screensaver.
I'm sure to this screensaver is safe,is hosted on cd.textfiles.com,i have used this in my pc for long time,cannot have delete any file's.
The R.Salgado Crew is not a little boy,is a programmer with your [redacted by Moderators].
This author also have created the famous aquarium screensaver,with fish.
This software is obsolete but is good.Is Shareware,but the author encourage to copy this program to your friends.
Thank's to have put this in your machine :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the last post.

It is not a good idea to post home addresses here.

In general, let's give people the benefit of the doubt. Treat a new program as you would anything else - research it, and take appropriate precautions. The broad statement that screen savers are dangerous is bogus - there may have been problems, but we really should not disparage things without checking them out first.

ok

ok

ok.
i have search this screensaver on the net but cannot find any other info.
hovewer the r.salgado crew is well-known,but is very old.
In the 1988,for registration of 10 $ Salgado send you the others projects on floppy disk.
if you are not sure,you can try this software in a debian dosbox emulator as me.

this is the info from cd.textfiles.com:
Instant Paradise (Salgado, J. Raphael B.;$10) puts you on the beach of a beautiful tropical island. As you sit at your desk,staring at the computer screen, do you ever daydream about being in a remote tropical paradise? Fire up Instant Paradise and watch the waves come in, the fish jump out of the water, a sailboat maneuvering with a seagull overhead while clouds drift lazily by. As the sun sets and the moon comes out colors change to twilight, nighttime, dawn, and back to daylight.

Yes ;) and press * to jumping fish over the water
Y need only an old pc to run instant paradise,i cannot find easily older machines or i find broken machines.
I like old 8086 and 80286.
In Italy can't find easy old hardware as in america :(
Your 8086 machines have 1.44 mb floppy drive? if not,how to put instant paradise on it? you have fomatted a floppy to 720 kb size?

The broad statement that screen savers are dangerous is bogus - there may have been problems, but we really should not disparage things without checking them out first.

It is not bogus. Screensavers (or programs labeled that way) are the primary method of sending out trojan horses. It usually is not worth the trouble to "research" them. Many are programmed to wait for a specific day of the month etc. etc. before they do damage. Poster wanted to know why he wasn't getting any responses. Lately, it's even worse. The "laugh while we destroy the hard drive" is old hat now. Now, they install "back door" programs which allow others to access your PC without your knowledge, or record your keystrokes and forward them to websites.

It's ok to warn about a general problem, as you have. However, if somebody says this specific screen saver is cool and hasn't caused any particular damage, then let's get on with our lives. We shouldn't have to produce names, home addresses, and notarized statements.

As with any unknown software, use caution.

instant paradise

instant paradise

instant paradise is beautiful,the authors is well-known,your software is longer used in the 80's and early 90's.
the authors have put your address in the program,display it when exit to program and return to dos.offer the choice to send 10$ and receive other works of r.salgado.
in the 1988 i have only 6 year old.
at the moment i have 24 years old,i search older pc 8086,286,386.
i'm new to retrocomputing and i like ps1 and ps2 ibm.
i think that is serious program to bring new life in older pc's.

Yes ;) and press * to jumping fish over the water
Y need only an old pc to run instant paradise,i cannot find easily older machines or i find broken machines.
I like old 8086 and 80286.
In Italy can't find easy old hardware as in america :(
Your 8086 machines have 1.44 mb floppy drive? if not,how to put instant paradise on it? you have fomatted a floppy to 720 kb size?

I am in the UK, Vintage "PC" hardware is hard to find here too. Amstrad has one 360kB 5.25" floppy drive, but I might fit a second 3.25" 720kB drive in the spare drive bay. Actually you can use a 1.44MB drive but it only works at 720kB.

To copy Instant Paradise I copied it to 1.44MB disk, then used my 486 laptop to send it to Amstrad with LapLink parallel cable - it's easier to do than to zip it, break into 360kB parts, copy to disks, etc :)

Amstrad has EGA display, maybe I will also transfer it to my IBM 5160 - I wonder if it also works in CGA?

Last edited:
this software can't work in cga...this is the system requirements from the paradise.doc documentation.requires ega with 128 k or more.

IBM PC or PC compatible (6+ MHz not required, but recommended)

Enhanced Graphics Adapter with 128k or more. 8087/80287/80387

math coprocessor is not required, but can accelerate program

execution.

Back