• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a new card for my Vtech laser XT/3 and dump (modem7)

Robin4

Veteran Member
56564.jpg

Bios dump.

Made direct the bios dump before adding any current to it.

Is there someone that maybe have more information on these jumper settings? Tried to look online, but didnt found much that should be 1:1 the same (matching)

Attachments

• VTECH_FDD_HD_FLOPPY_BIOS.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Is there someone that maybe have more information on these jumper settings? Tried to look online, but didn't found much that should be 1:1 the same (matching)
I see what you mean. There is a multi-function card, the VTech 'Multi I/O' card, in various documents at [here], but the layout does not match the VTech labelled multi-function card that you have.

Bios dump.

Made direct the bios dump before adding any current to it.
Thanks. I will add this BIOS image to the collection at my website.

anyone else, that maybe have some information on this floppy card / Multi i/o board.

Anyone maybe know on the 3 pin jumper blocks, which is pin 1.. ? The upper one or the lower one..? Tried to look on the pcb, but cant find any clue.

yes could check the card on the back side.

Found already these settings so far:

JP3 Diskette drive / FDC bios??? (one drive gone, detects only one with a disk 80 error on boot. (no prrr sound anymore)
JP4 ???
JP6 LPT1 port adress: 1-2 = 0378 2-3 = 03BC
JP5 LPT1 ON / OFF 1-2 = ON 2-3 = OFF
JP2 RTC???
JP1 FDC BIOS 1-2= ON, 2-3= OFF (sees 2 drives without prrr, so think booting in low-density mode without bios)
JP10 ???
JP8 ???
JP7 COM 1 / COM1 is gone.
JP9 ???

JP16 = COM 1 ON / OFF Jumper ON= ON Jumper OFF= Disabled
JP15 - COM 2 / Gameport?
JP14 = Drive B: is 1.44MB (jumper JP14 removed, JP13 removed) (Drive B: is 720KB JP14 Installed, JP13 removed)
JP13 = Drive B: is 1.2MB (jumper JP14 removed, JP13 installed)
JP12 = Drive A: is 1.44MB (jumper JP12 removed, JP11 removed) (Drive A: is 720KB JP12 Installed, JP11 removed)
JP11 = Drive A: is 1.2MB (jumper JP12 removed, JP11 installed)
(360 KB drive will ignore these settings)

The rest have to check with the program checkit to see if address suddently changes.

Also think com2 doesnt work..

Perhaps because of no UMC UM8250B chip in the empty socket?

Gameport enable / disable doesnt show on boot. Think i only can see its active or not with a program like check it.

Could be that COM2 was an extra option back in the day, so only com1 was available on the card.

I need one serial connection for the mouse. Com2 can be getting it to work. Only did not found a solution to adopt a DB25 serial (26 pin) internal on the card to an DB9 (9 pin serial as output.)

Last edited:
Sometimes, on the solder side, pin 1 is done as a square:

View attachment 1269543
I have checked this yesterday, but these are all round. And yes i checked really good.

If i do a gamble, then i think the upper one is 1.. Because most settings are on 1-2 instead of 2-3

And second 0378 seems to me the primairy addres for LPT1. Like as option one and second option or address is 03BC (like secundairy address?)

Also think com2 doesnt work..

Perhaps because of no UMC UM8250B chip in the empty socket?
Probably. Note that it does not need to be UMC branded.

And see the two small empty IC sockets nearby. Those sockets are probably for a line driver chip and a line receiver chip. Those chips contain four of what are essentially, level converters, drawn as 'Level Converters' in the diagram at [here]. Based on what I see on the card photo, your card uses MC1488 and MC1489.

Could be that COM2 was an extra option back in the day, so only com1 was available on the card.
Probably. An example is DFI's DIO-200X card. From the user manual: "To install the Secondary Serial Port, insert IC 8250 into U1, SN75189 into U4, and SN75188 into U2 to activate the secondary serial port."

And second 0378 seems to me the primairy addres for LPT1. Like as option one and second option or address is 03BC (like secundairy address?)
3BC, 378, and 278, are the typical LPT ports.

3BC is the base I/O address used for the LPT port on MDA video cards.

The IBM Printer Adapter uses base I/O address 378, so that it does not conflict with the LPT port on the MDA card.

The IBM Serial/Parallel Adapter allows a choice of 378 or 278. IBM's document for the card refers to the ports as 'Port 1' and 'Port 2'.

Some makers will refer to 378 as LPT1, and 278 as LPT2. That can be misleading because DOS does not work that way. For example, if I only have one LPT port in my computer, and it is at 3BC, DOS will assign 'LPT1' to that port.

Back