• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

got a new, well old compaq

jjzcp

Experienced Member
on the weekend i got a compaq 486 33MHz CD. It has a weird i think SCSI CD-rom, which eventually led to a problem. The windows 95 boot disk i have only supports standard IDE CD-roms, so i tried to put one on via slave, but it didn't work. I guess i will have to live with windws 3.1.

On the subject, does any one know of a place in the internet where i can get a windows 95 boot disk that supports SCSI?

Hmm...may not be true SCSI, could be one of the proprietary interfaces such as Mitsumi (Aztech) or Panasonic (Matsushita). I think that Sony had one as well.

I don't recall ever using one of those with Win95, you may have to use the DOS drivers.

Ok, I know you said Compaq, but I have a Packard Bell sound card right here with the cd-rom interface connectors. Three of 'em, labeled Sony, Mitsumi/Aztech and Panasonic CR-5xx.

Perhaps Googling the drive model would reveal some info.

Kent

What about useing an IDE controller card for the floppy? Would that work or would it conflict with something? Just and idea I thought I'd throw out there....

-V

jjzcp said:
on the weekend i got a compaq 486 33MHz CD. It has a weird i think SCSI CD-rom, which eventually led to a problem. The windows 95 boot disk i have only supports standard IDE CD-roms, so i tried to put one on via slave, but it didn't work. I guess i will have to live with windws 3.1.

On the subject, does any one know of a place in the internet where i can get a windows 95 boot disk that supports SCSI?

IIRC Windows 98 boot disks have DOS SCSI drivers on them. It should be as simple as transferring them to a win 95 boot disk and upgrading the config.sys and Autoexec.bat

I have a Compaq 486 LTE which I've been unable to use to install Win 95, altho I've used it to install on other machines. It could be related to Compaq. There is a Compaq win 95 update program that I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Lawrence

Back