• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got stories to share? The Museum of Computer Culture is interested!

STorrence

Hey all!

It's been quite a while since I've posted here. I originally discovered the VCF through my interest in Retr0brite. For the past couple of years I've been volunteering with the Goodwill Computer Museum in Austin, Texas. That group recently had a bit of a shake-up in November, but we came out of it in a big way. The core group of retro computing junkies from the GCM has established the "Museum of Computer Culture" as an independent nonprofit. We just recently received our 501(c)(3) status and we're kicking our operations into high gear.

Our core goal is to focus on collecting and sharing the human side of the computing revolution. We'll eventually have a physical museum space, but for now we're getting going through the Web. We've started a Culture Blog as our first major initiative. Phil Ryals, a long-time HP-er and creator of the Relay Computer 3 (Video 1, Video 2), has already posted a few articles on his experience working on the AUTODIN and with A Programming Language.

We're currently seeking contributors for the blog!

Here are the types of stories we're generally looking for:

• Your first computing experience and how it changed your life
  • First-hand accounts of working within a major software or hardware company
  • How computing has impacted your life or the lives of those around you in a unique way

Ideal posts would be 700-1500 words, and include 2-5 images for clarification and context. I'll be editing everything before publishing, so don't worry about formatting, grammar, etc. The main idea is to get interesting oral histories that will give our readers (fellow retro computing junkies, history buffs, etc.) an insight into a particular company, machine, program, etc. I can't guarantee you'll get famous or anything, but we will be cross-posting to a number of history and museum sites and potentially sharing your stories in academic journals (with your permission of course).

If you're interested, please reply here, PM, or email me at stephent@computerculture.org. This is very much a work in progress, and your initial questions, thoughts, suggestions, and contributions could really shape the look and feel of the blog.

Hope this sounds like fun. What do y'all think? :)

I applaude the emphasis on the human stories...the IMPACT early computing had on people lives. This often overlooked. Good luck with the project.

Tez

Back