• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GPU Compatibility Help, Everything seems to work, but not together.

KlaxMaster

Hey Guys, New member. I have a bit of an oddball with little documentation that I could find, And I tried buying a Video Card that seemed compatible, but does not work.

The Machine:
Packard Bell Platinum 2010x, Windows 98 SE
Mobo: Intel NV430VX with integrated S3 Virge 3D (2MB)
Here are the 2 most informative documentations I found
Most detailed support page I could find
NV430VX Tech Spec PDF

It has:
Riser Board with x3 ISA and x3 PCI. I can't find much info on this. (I have seen both ISA and PCI chipsets work though) Ebay listing to exact model I have -P/N 52F53 Rev C+
Pentium 166MHz
32MB Memory

The Monitor:
amw F199

The Video Card I bought:
nVidia TNT2 M64 PCI Card Ebay link to listing
It says tested, working. But it also says 'New, in packge' sooo...

The Problem in detail:
As the support page mentions, when I insert the video card, the on board graphics is automatically disabled (Which is good, means it detects a video card)
But it will not display. Bios, Post, or Windows. All black.
I tried installing the drivers before inserting card as well, thinking that at the very least, I could use it in windows, and just yank it out if I ever need to do something in Bios. But it wont install because it does not detect the card, then the installer just exits without installing.

When I first start it up, I get a Long-Short-Short beep pattern, which is not discussed in the support page, or the tech doc, But is pretty easily to find through google that MANY computers of the era use that pattern as Video Error.

But then I get the single short beep of a successful Post, then after some time, Win98 start sound plays. All with a black screen.

Any suggestions? Is there an incompatibility I am missing? Does anyone know a card thats better than the on board that does work under these circumstances? I would prefer PCI as they are new, better, and cheaper than the ISA cards. Plus the ISA video cards I find, aren't really even any better than my onboard chipset.

That system has 5v PCI slots. Your card is keyed for universal 3.3V and 5V but might not like 5V after all. Vogons.com forum also had a guy with that card complain about it not working in a 5V PCI system.

Try using a different PCI video card in the 5V slots and see if the system works.backward pci slot 5v vs 3.3v.png

That system has 5v PCI slots. Your card is keyed for universal 3.3V and 5V but might not like 5V after all. Vogons.com forum also had a guy with that card complain about it not working in a 5V PCI system.

Try using a different PCI video card in the 5V slots and see if the system works.View attachment 61048
Kind of a bummer that the research I did never saw mention of the keys and voltage differences. Thanks for the lead.

I always noticed PCI cards had different spaces, But I've never had one not fit (aside from PCI and PCIe) so I never though much of it. And never noticed the subtle differences on the headers themselves.

I was looking at 2 cards that both have 5V keyed slots, can I get your opinion? (With the disclaimer that I wont hold you accountable for my decision, regardless of your input.)

ATI Rage PRO 16MB. This one has better specs, and I recognize the name. Came out 2 years after my PC, which is that long. Drivers were easy to find for windows 98

Cornerstone Image Accel3 4MB VGA Which only has 2MB over my integrated. I dont recognize the name. (Although I did find drivers). I would be afraid of it being obscure, and not supporting games. but is closer in age to my PC, so maybe better shot at working?

Back