• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Grandma's 386

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
I saw this at the dump last week and didn't get it, but someone said "did you see that old computer it had a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive?" Hmm, I started thinking that I should have gotten it just to see what was in it, so I said "pick it up for me will ya?" Anyway I just got it this afternoon and it is totally clean and undamaged, despite being outside for a week and rained on a bit.

Here are the specs:
Tower
AMD 386 DX-40
MB: ISA-386 U30
8 ram slots
4 MB RAM
6- 16bit ISA slots 1- 8bit slot
American Megatrends bios (1992)
ATI video
5 1/4" Teac FD-55GFR
3 1/2" Teac FD
HDD: Caviar 1210 (212MB)

I turned it on and it wants an inport 2 button mouse which I don't think I have, but haven't looked yet. It's running MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1. Comes up with a menu system and generally looks classic for the time. There's a few games, office suite, astrology, virus scanning, and some world map thing ... usual stuff. :)

Everything is totally generic. The case says "KEI ATurbo computer systems".
The MB didn't come up in Google and neither did the ATI video card which is labeled EXMVGAXLV1.

Where do these things come from? It is nicely set up and there is no cruft. After snooping around I found two word files. One was just a tryout and the other was a letter that said "I'm starting to get the hang of this computer" and signed Granma and Grampa. Hehe, so I get it. It was set up for the grandparents in 1992 and 18 years later it goes to the dump having never been used. Oh well, I think I'll keep the unit just the way it is and call it a good example of the 386 clone with the most famous CPU and a standard setup for the period. Oh, and it has a turbo button that when you push it, the panel display changes from 40 to 8. Cool.

Congrats. I have a generic 386-DX40 myself. Fantastic Win 3.1/MS-DOS machines. Mine also has the turbo button and display :)

Tez

I do all of my DOS TCP/IP development on a 386-40 that I purchased new in 1993. My particular motherboard came with 128K of cache. On certain benchmarks against a 486sx-25 it would walk away from the 486.

I wouldn't mind having another 386-40DX system with cache. (Either that, or a mid-range 486.) They represent the peak of the DOS era.

I do all of my DOS TCP/IP development on a 386-40 that I purchased new in 1993. My particular motherboard came with 128K of cache. On certain benchmarks against a 486sx-25 it would walk away from the 486.
This one also has 128K. There's a good page on the "last and greatest 386" on the Redhill CPU Guide.

I wouldn't mind having another 386-40DX system with cache. (Either that, or a mid-range 486.) They represent the peak of the DOS era.

Want this one? Maybe I could pack it in helium bubble wrap. :)

Back