• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GRiD 1755 486SLC, Just 20 MHz Models or 20 & 25 MHz Models?

Paralel

Experienced Member
I've noticed recently in several early 90's publications and on several websites they list the GRiD 1755 486SLC as being either a 20 MHz or 25 MHz processor. In all of these instances the badges on the machines are all the same as the ones I have personally seen IRL that are confirmed 20 MHz models. To me, it seems that they would have had a distinguishing mark if they had upgraded the processor to a 25 MHz chip towards the end of its production life so people could tell them apart. The base system it is built on is the GRiD 1755/Tandy 3820 HD/DEC 320p which were all strictly a 386SX-20 machines. Upgrading it to a Cyrix 486SLC-20 would essentially be a drop-in replacement. To drop in a Cyrix 486SLC-25 seems that it would require a little more work, such as swapping out the crystal, etc... plus, depending on how the system is designed, it could easily be a 25% overclock with anything sharing the same or divided clock. To me, it doesn't make much sense, but, it also seems unlikely that multiple publications, such as "InfoWorld" and "PC Magazine" would have the same bad information.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts or insights anyone had regarding the above.

Last edited:
Looking over the CMOS utility for the 1755, it makes me think there really wasn't a 1755 486SLC-25, or possibly they planned to do a single final run with that processor but it never happened. All the known versions of the 1755 CMOS Utility have an entry for selecting CPU speed and the only options are 10 MHz & 20 MHz. Obviously that wouldn't make sense if the system had a 25 MHz processor (plus, I'm not sure if the 25 MHz version could run at 1/2 clock).

Again, if anyone had any insights, I'd be interested in hearing them. Or if you have a version of the CMOS utility that supports the 25 MHz entry.

These are the publications showing the 25 MHz system:

Back