• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GRiD Compass keyboard styling for your modern PC

mrcity

Experienced Member
There's a thread on Geekhack where a fellow is particularly interested in creating a new set of keycaps for modern keyboards that utilize the aesthetics of the GRiD Compass keyboard. The keycaps will be double-shot, but seemingly the biggest debate in the thread is which symbol to pad-print (for the multi-symbol keys) -- the one on the top or, on the side.

The first thing my wife does when I get a "new" computer ;) is to grab the keycap puller and proceed to spend a minute scrutinizing the mechanism and then another 5 minutes pontificating on its advantages, disadvantages, back-story, rarity, etc., and it was no different when I won a GRiDCase 1520 at auction (the first model of computer I ever used). She's a serious keyboard snob, several orders of magnitude more concerned with the construction and feel of them than I am. And while the GRiD keyboard is certainly no Model M, she was thoroughly impressed with its triple-shot keys on the inside.

This was a unique time in PC history: a company interested in building simply the most durable and high-quality product for people to whom money was no object before these things became commodities. These keys must have been extremely expensive to produce (the laptops themselves were a pretty penny), and the market doesn't really exist for them to do things like that anymore given the production cost even nowadays.

Anyway, take a look at the pictures on the thread, and give them a shout-out if you feel strongly about getting that set of keycaps for yourself. And to those of you sitting on a set of triple-shot keycaps, I urge you to document those on Deskthority, the computer input device wiki, and help educate us on manufacturing techniques long forsaken by the masses.

Back