• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Guidance and Process of TRS-80/M4 Beginner

stankretro

Hello everyone,

I just somehow got my hands on a TRS-80/Model 4 from savers for 60$. Full on working. Came with an external FreHD setup. I am extremely new to retro computing and this is my first DOS based machine, so I am really going in completely dry.

Request and Objective - Understand the basic operations of LS-DOS v6 to the point where I can add game files and play them on my machine.

Here is what I have so far.

I have loaded up the FreHD SD card with LS-DOS v6.3.1. The computer boots up into frehd and then I select LS-DOS.

I have tried to use TRSTOOLS to make a diskimage with a .bas program on it, load it onto the sd and then import it onto my TRS but to no avail. I have no clue what to do after. Even the commands are confusing to me. I'm obviously going in blind and I have little to no clue what I am doing. I have watched countless videos but they only get me so far. I genuinely am only wanted to boot up a game or two on this machine but do not even know where to start, the furthest I have gotten is getting LSDOS to boot up correctly. There are a handful of videos to watch on people loading up these images with games, although there is no beginner or first step equivalent.

If there are any resources and or any easy to follow tutorials or tools please let me know.

Back