• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

H7225 constant voltage conditioner

saipan59

Experienced Member
I'm checking out this H7225 "constant voltage conditioner" which belongs to the museum I volunteer at. Does anyone have experience with it? What type of installations would typically use one of these? It works fine, although it makes a fairly obnoxious buzzing sound - is that typical for these, or does this one have a loose lamination in the transformer? Thanks for any comments!

Pete

c1.jpgc2.JPGc3.JPG

If the transformer has loose laminations, it may be drawing more input current than normal even with no load. I don't know exactly what it should be, but I would think very little with no load.

"Drawbacks of CVTs are their larger size, audible humming sound, and the high heat generation caused by saturation."

That article also says "Efficiency at full load is typically in the range of 89% to 93%. However, at low loads, efficiency can drop below 60%" suggesting that the no-load current will be higher than I assumed.

That article also says "Efficiency at full load is typically in the range of 89% to 93%. However, at low loads, efficiency can drop below 60%" suggesting that the no-load current will be higher than I assumed.
Just so--they get quieter with heavier loads. Never cared for them much, as they do distort a sinusoidal waveform--but we've discussed this before.

It works fine, although it makes a fairly obnoxious buzzing sound - is that typical for these, or does this one have a loose lamination in the transformer?
I have a similar device which is labelled a "power conditioner". It emits such a loud hum it makes you want to get up and move to another room. All that's inside is a giant transformer and two capacitors and it weighs about 25Kg.

I guess if you had expensive equipment hooked up to mains in your 80's computer room, such a voltage "smoother, stabilizer and regulator" was an easy sell.

-Alon.

Attachments

• sola power conditioner.jpg
    sola power conditioner.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 8
We had an immense (a couple of ft^3) SOLA unit (something like one of these: https://assets.alliedelec.com/v1609412648/Datasheets/8ad8acceed300f4ed5417a38c4cc09d8.pdf) bolted to the wall to supply a PDP-8/L and associated equipment in the early 70's. Although it did hum a bit, it was pretty subdued. I don't remember it being as annoying as an overhead 4 foot fluorescent lamp fixture ballast that's not operating quite right. I expect that the cinder-block wall mounting served as a great dampener given the serious attachment (4 ~3/8" bolts). With the smaller free-standing units there's not a lot of dampening going on; instead the chassis/cover is serving as a sounding board on those rubber feet ...

If you have worked near a motor-generator set for a mainframe like a CDC CYBER then you wouldn't complain about a little hum from these "power conditioner" toys. To make things worse on mainframes like the CDC CYBER there was the constant 400 Hz 3 phase supply noise. I didn't bother me too much when I was younger, but it would drive me crazy now.

I do remember the 3-phase variacs in the power control panel of the 6600. With a full complement of tape drives, line printers and card gear, a computer room could be very noisy. At SVLOPS, we were issued those yellow foam earplugs. At first, the noise seems tolerable, but after a few hours, you realize that your nerves are being shredded.

But even being around 3-phase 60 Hz gear using full-wave rectification results in a "hum" of 360Hz, which is equally annoying. I remember that from a stint as projectionist with carbon-arc lamps so powered.

I recall that many old military airborne electronics ran from a 400Hz supply also.

I also worked in a steel mill where 25Hz power was used. The transformers were much larger than their 60Hz cousins and did not hum, so much as rattle.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, the Museum has put this CVC on eBay. Pickup only in Colorado Springs.
The sale benefits a worthwhile non-profit.
eBay item number: 145747594264

Pete

Back