• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Half height drives in IBM PC/XT 5160

nestor

Veteran Member
Browsing the net I have seen some 5160 computers with two half height floppy drives instead of a full height one. This, for example.

I tried to put two half drives in my 5160 but I found that there are no screw holes for the upper half height drive. I would prefer not to drill the case, is there any other posibility?

Some of the later 5160s came with half height FDDs instead of full height ones. These were basically 360k models of the same FD that shipped in AT systems. They were screwed in place with special metal adapter brackets. I'll take a pic of the ones that came in my 5160 later.

There is the special metal bracket kit, and the later 5160s also had an extra screw hole in the bottom of the case. You can still put half height drives into 5150 and early 5160 cases, but they won't be as secure.

Yeah to bracket kit - mine have IBM logos stamped on them - it just joins the two drives together, then you screw the bottom drive in place.

They're annoying because the opening is only big enough for the drive, so squishing it in can take work, even more work if you don't have the original tapered screws.

When I wanted to do this, I cut out a couple of pieces of metal with a hacksaw and drilled them appropriately. The results were horribly clumsy but got the job done.

Back