• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Half the damn collection for sale! Need money!

Been a few months, just checking in to remind people that I still have tons of stuff to sell. I can't edit old posts anymore (forum rule changes) so the list in the first post isn't comprehensive, and some of the items on the list are gone. Ask if you want something - anything - and I may have it. Reasonable/negotiable prices all around. :3

and some of the items on the list are gone. Ask if you want something - anything - and I may have it. Reasonable/negotiable prices all around. :3

How about a new list on Google Docs: that would allow you to display what is for sale and you can easily maintain it. :D

Yeah maybe I'll do that once we're done with rearranging the house - I'll have to go through my collection anyway at that time. Thanks for the idea.

Not that I am able to buy anything (got a big medical bill today) but any progress made?

An item here and there, but still lots of stuff I'd like to get rid of because it's not getting used.. I just made a list of things for a specific trade, so let me post that here:

- NEC APC (needs minor electrical repair, like one component replaced.. troubleshooting thread is on this forum, actually, with the details).
- Zenith "Z-Station" 486 workstation and monitor - missing monitor cable, I think it's EGA, but am not sure (really cool machine).
- Lots of anonymous PCs.
- Mac SE/30, everything works but the FDD, haven't found a working replacement.
- Mac IIsi (2 of them)
- Mac IIci (a few left, I think)
- Mac IIcx (just one of these)
- Mac Performa 500 series, all-in-one PPC Mac
- Apple Portrait Display (black and white CRT, very nice, wish I could use it on a PC, and wish it was in color, heh) and accompanying cable. I actually have two of the display, but only one cable. Uses same 13WD connector as Sun boxen.
- Above-mentioned rackmount case.
- Unisys 486 machine, REALLY TINY desktop with one ISA slot, built-in network and everything else you need except sound (which is what I use in the ISA slot when I use it).
- Numerous game consoles (I only trade duplicates, but I have duplicates of PSX, SNES, NES, maybe others, and lots of controllers and such).
- Mac LC IIs (and one LC III, only one I use out of the lot ever)
- Mac Powerbook Duo (and several docks, like 5... I'd include one with a working key and such if you wanted this) with replacement power adapter (it didn't come with the adapter to me). Needs new battery (not CMOS/PRAM, the proper battery) but works flawlessly otherwise. It's like a Mac netbook if you're not familiar, but Mac classic PPC.
- Backpack external parallel 3.5" floppy drives (the controllers of which are EASILY software-modded to allow multiple chained drives, including 360K, 720K, and 1.2M drives to be hooked up), brand new, never used (not in box, because it was cheaper to have shipped that way) - I have a good number of these.
- External SCSI HDDs in enclosures, some empty enclosures too.
- Small HP inkjet printers ('bout the same size as the SCSI boxes).
- Several monochrome monitors, some with original boxes even.
- Miscellaneous cards, parts, and adapters for both Mac and PC (more PC than Mac), lots and lots..
- Lots of older TVs, 80s/90s, all NTSC and in good working order - nice to use with a NES, Atari, etc.

Raven, would you happen to have any of these items:

1. 16 Mhz 286 CPU.

2. A good VLB video card, other than a Mach64. Maybe a Tseng or something. Just want fast DOS.

3. Any socket 7 CPU faster than my current k6-2 450. K6-3 or k6-2+ at 500 or higher would be preferred.

4. A working or non-working 5.25 inch drive with a cosmetically nice black faceplate. (It's just to put in my newer system next to the DVD drive to add a WTF factor.)

So the IBM 5160 is gone? just curious
No, but I pulled it from sale. I would consider selling it - maybe - but only if it were for a reasonably large amount or it was in trade for something I'd much rather have (I love Compaq 486s and Pentiums, and any brand of [though Compaq most] all-in-one machines).

Raven, would you happen to have any of these items:

1. Nope - no 286 gear actually, oddly enough.
2. I have VLB cards, but nothing as fast as a Tseng. Lots of Trident, Cirrus, and a few others, STB, S3..
3. Might have a K6-2+ at or above 500, will look when I've got a chance.
4. Definitely, assuming you aren't looking for full-height. I in fact have a hooked up & functional 5.25" drive in my modern machine.. Win7 even has a shiny new icon for it. :3 If spraypainted (many of today's items are) black is OK then it's even easier, but I do have originally-black ones too.

You mentioned miscellaneous PC's, do you have any 486 motherboards with at least 1 VLB slot with a dx2-66 or faster? if so how much? preferably one that would accept 72-pin memory if at all possible, but if not, maybe you could include some 30-pin ram with it? All I have is 72-pin ram in terms of old ram.

I'm trying to build a 486 system and actually I'm finding how difficult it is to locate a working 486 motherboard for sale anywhere these days.....

I'm trying to build a 486 system and actually I'm finding how difficult it is to locate a working 486 motherboard for sale anywhere these days.....

Really? I'm having the opposite problem. Plenty of boards around, just don't have the time or patience to scrounge up simms or dimms, CPU fans, and set jumpers to find out if they still work.

486 era parts are still around, but getting all the pieces (in working condition) and installed can be a pain. People tend to have motherboards but no CPU/heatsink or might have a case but the PS is bad. Working 5.25" drives can be a problem or finding serial mice and VLB video cards.

If you are an old school packrat then you probably have all the parts in stock, otherwise ebay + shipping for individual parts can be expensive.

A few years ago I figured 486 era systems would be around forever, now I am not so sure.

I have an actual microsoft serial mouse still, I have.. two working 5.25" floppy drives, a trident VLB video card, a box with 10 IDE cd-roms in it ranging from 1x - 8x speeds, IDE hard drives at 120mb, 500mb, 800mb, 400mb, and a plastic tray with at least 50 sticks of 72-pin ram, i keep thinking i'll hold on to em and they'll be worth money some day... we're getting close to that point with the working 486 motherboards being $50 - $60 on ebay these days (But if you look in completed auctions none of em are selling at that price), I'm still holding on to what i have. All of it all still works. i do not have a spare case, or any hard drive controllers other than PCI though, nor do i have an ISA network adapter.. i have 4 genuine sound blaster ISA cards though. I used to have several working 486 systems.... and i went on a small trip out of state and someone rooming with me decided to sell em in a garage sale.. long story, but i no longer have any working 486 era machines, and i'm actively working on trying to aquire one, I found two guys on craigslist locally selling some, one's 40 miles outside of dallas the other's 25 miles, might get one there if they even respond... but other than that not sure where i'll find one. erm.. sorry to rant on someone else's thread, but yeah... looking for 486 motherboard + cpu + hard drive controller (if it's not onboard)

A few years ago I figured 486 era systems would be around forever, now I am not so sure.

Yea, it's funny how things go round. About 4 years ago I dumped a nice generic 32MB DX-66 486 thinking they were common and really not that vintage (and it was taking up room). Now I wish I hadn't as it would make a nice "typical config" Windows 95 machine for historical/demo purposes. I have a 386 to show off Windows 3.1 and a Pentium 1 to show off Windows 98 but there is kind of a gap between the two now.

Tez

I ran into the same problem. A few years ago I tossed my old PC Chips M919 VIP 5x86-133Mhz based machine along with a circa 1994 DX4-100 VLB machine. The one smart thing I did was pull all the cards in them before they were tossed. Computer recycling is taking a toll on stock of these machines and the local thrift stores aren't really carrying computers anymore (boo!). I did manage to pick up a serial mouse and AT keyboard for cheap at one, I just have to beat vwestlife to the stores on re-supply day.;) AT form factor cases/power supplies vanished from the market in 2000 or so and are getting surprisingly rare too.

I see some 486 systems going for $200 on ebay (for gamers, they tend to include 1 boxed game and DOS disks/manuals). Going to have to find another local scrapper to get some more AT keyboards before this city has everything recycled.

I see some 486 systems going for $200 on ebay (for gamers, they tend to include 1 boxed game and DOS disks/manuals). Going to have to find another local scrapper to get some more AT keyboards before this city has everything recycled.

I get this " eco-friendly " movement people have towards old outdated equipment... but oh my.
SO many companies are going into it like " money and gold! "
and its kind of depressing, i went to a scrapper yesterday and there was a trashed 5150. broken mainboard.
and was rained on and he was throwing it into a bin :(
man its painful to see these people who don't know what they are "recycling" out into the garbage bin.
i think we should set up some websites that pay for vintage computer equipment

our slogan should be ' recycling? Why not get PAID to recycle '
lol.

Back