• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hard drive problems (again)

I got everything working tonight and here is what it says verbatim
Hard disk unit 0:
Sectors/Track: 17
Tracks/Cylinder: 4
Total Cylinders 306
Total bytes 10,653,696

after that the program goes to some sort of menu but it only loads part of it and then locks up si I have to restart the machine

Your jumpers are set incorrectly.

Having trouble finding the correct settings for your exact model though.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of your jumpers / switches on the card.

If nobody can find the exact drive table, we *might* be able to guess based on other models. (Assuming a 20Mb type is even available)
Another option is to grab a WDXT-Gen card off ebay, those things are champions.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures Let me know if you guys need more
8894133092_637bf665b9_b.jpg

8893458301_2a1091df20_b.jpg

8893462391_2e435c29a4_b.jpg

8894111696_1e082fcbe1_b.jpg

8894122198_de323e2f9e_b.jpg

8894127186_9e596d3dd9_b.jpg

I don't see a suitable jumper block for defining a drive table (unless I missed it)

Quite possible it's a 10Mb only card.

It is an XT-class controller. We know that the controller is not an autoconfigure type because the controller's low-level format code does not prompt the user for the drive geometry (either via a selection list, or via entry of cylinders/heads etc.). Therefore, if the controller supports user-selectable drive geometries, it would have to be done via switches or jumpers. No switches on the controller. There is only one jumper, the blue jumper (E17/E18), and that is probably a 'factory use only' jumper.

The ROM revision can sometimes help, but an Internet search using "62-000042-10" reveals nothing.

It is probable that this controller only supports 306 cylinders / 4 heads / 17 SPT.

SpeedStor's ROMLIST switch

What would be interesting to see is the output of SpeedStor software when SpeedStor's ROMLIST switch is activated. I.e. A:\>sstor /romlist
For XT-class controller BIOS' that SpeedStor is aware of, SpeedStor will display the controller's drive table.
For example, the drive table for the IBM/Xebec 20MB controller would be displayed like:

Code:
Table Cylinders Heads WPC  Control
0     306       4     0    5
1     612       4     0    5
2     615       4     300  5
3     306       8     128  5

So, the 62-000042-10 ROM supports 4 different drive geometries, but the WD1002-WX2 only uses one of them (the last).

This is the same scenario as the second variation of IBM/Xebec controller that IBM fitted to the IBM 5160 (see [here]). And the same four drive geometries are used (in the same order). It is almost like Western Digital intended for the WD1002-WX2 to be a direct replacement for the second variation of IBM/Xebec controller.

Last edited:
Do you have an EPROM programmer? If so, then what we can do to get your WD1002-WX2 to support the ST-225 is:

1. I give you procedure that copies the 62-000042-10 ROM contents to file.
2. You send the file to me.
3. I modify the file, then send that you.
4. You burn file contents to blank EPROM.
5. You substitute the EPROM in place of the 62-000042-10 ROM.

If you don't have an EPROM programmer, then perhaps someone there in the US will burn the file to EPROM for you (at small cost).

No I don't have an EPROM burner. I wish I did though!
Maybe someone locally will volunteer to burn an EPROM for you. If required, I could post one from Australia.

In the meanwhile, a copy of the 62-000042-10 ROM will be good to add to site http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm
in case someone with a WD1002-WX2 later presents with a corrupt ROM.

Are you able to run the following DEBUG commands for me, then send to me the resulting file, MYC800.BIN ?

A:\>DEBUG

-N MYC800.BIN

-R BX
BX 0000
:0000
-R CX
CX 0000
:2000

-M C800:0 2000 0100

-W 0100
Writing 2000 bytes

-Q

I don't know what I did wrong :/ now when ever I boot it up I get a 301 error with a different two digit number in front of it each time i start up the computer and the computer "beeper" seems like its beeping out everything that's onscreen. Whenever it finishes the autoexec.bat it just types random letters until l that line fills up. The computer is also much slower than before for some reason? It does the same thing when I boot from a floppy. I think I screwed up something with the ROM somehow. Tomorrow I will pull out all of the cards and put them back in one by one and see if I can figure out where the problem it.

Last edited:
OK, I have pulled out every board one by one and it still does the same thing. With no cards in it will boot to basic and it still does the same thing there so I an guessing that it is a failed chis on the mother board somewhere probably because I have been using it so much since school got out. I also checked all the caps on the board and none of them are shorted or blown. I am starting to think it has something to do with the keyboard as modem 7 said.
I should probably start a new thread for this since it is very off topoc

Back