• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HD floppy issues on Scantech LCD-286

kishy

Veteran Member
Several years ago, I picked up a Scantech LCD-286 which is a lunchbox/luggable 286 with integrated monochrome LCD and a keyboard that clips onto the front. Cool unit. All the internals are typical desktop parts except for the power supply, which is AT equivalent, but unique form factor. The chassis is very similar (can tell the design was drafted by the same pen) to that used by later Dolch network analyzers (e.g. PAC 586, PAC 64, PAC 65) and the power supply is interchangeable with them.

As I received the unit, it has an Ethernet NIC, packet driver, and MTCP on it...which was wonderful. Having seen improvements to IRCjr on my other vintage hardware, I wanted to put the newest release on the machine. Mike has released a handful of versions since the one that was on it.

Using FTPSRV, I started transferring the new files into a new folder, and I'd then manipulate the files on the unit locally, which is how I did the same to my two PS/2s. The FTP connection kept blowing up for no apparent reason with no helpful errors (transfers failing inexplicably, disconnecting, and so on) so I decided to move the files by floppy, which is easy enough. I put the new files on a 1.44MB disk via a proven-reliable USB floppy drive with my modern laptop, put the disk in the 286's 1.44MB drive, deleted the existing MTCP files (insert cringe here), then tried to access A:. No go. The cursor sat there blinking, the drive briefly made a seek sound, the light got stuck on and nothing would happen.

I figured OK, maybe it doesn't like that disk. Repeated with another. Same result.
Swapped the drive (2 more times) as well as removed unnecessary ISA cards in case of an IO conflict of some kind, still the same.
Had a lightbulb moment, tried the same with a 720K disk. Now, if I type A: and hit enter, it changes to an A: prompt unlike before. This is progress.
However, a Copy or DIR command locks it up the same as with the 1.44MB disk.

I tried a 1.44MB MS-DOS boot floppy in the 286 and it just hangs after POST, drive LED locked on, no activity happening, blinking cursor on the screen. It does not fail with any type of error, just hangs.

I tried writing a 720K boot floppy with WinImage (put up a bit of a fight handling the 720K disk, but it did it, kind of) and tried booting from it, the WinImage bootloader text displayed saying the disk was not bootable and it then handed off the boot to the hard drive. Smells like some sort of high density support issue. Problem is I don't own any natively 720K drives, they're all HD.

This unit has an Award BIOS, "286 Modular BIOS V3.03HD 11/12/87" which is Copyright 1987 Award Software. It is branded Scantech Computer on the POST screen.

The setup menu, which from a quick Google is notoriously hard to gain access to (CTRL+ALT+ESC but it's pretty much impossible to get into it unless you first cause a keyboard error to make the system wait long enough to accept that key combo), offers the following options for diskettes 1 and 2: none, 360M, 1.2M, 720K, 1.4M.

Am I correct in thinking this sounds like a BIOS with broken/defective high density floppy support?

Any suggestions for how to get files onto the machine? Once MTCP is back on it, the floppy drive is largely irrelevant (at least for now).

The HDD is not recognized via a USB-IDE device. It's a very old drive and I've had the same experience with other very old drives before. Also, this BIOS uses type numbers, so I can't just grab a newer drive and put the files on that, then put that drive into it. I might have a couple laptop drives that are supported by the type number system but I'll have to dig a little (same issue may exist with being unrecognized by USB-IDE devices).

I would suspect a damaged floppy cable. But if the FTP is also failing, maybe verifying the power supply is still in good condition would be a starting point.

Most modern USB to IDE adapters use chipsets that support LBA addressing only. Your IDE hard drive is very old and only supports CHS addressing which confuses the USB adapter that expects the drives to support LBA. I have an old IDE adapter with USB & parallel ports supporting both CHS and LBA. Such an adapter would be hard to find, so your best bet is to connect the drive to an old motherboard with IDE ports.

Regarding FTPSRV intermittent failures, try to limit the upload rate on your FTP client to perhaps 10KB/s. The internal NIC (connected to a 8-bit ISA slot?) probably has a small buffer size and cannot keep up with the relatively high network traffic generated by your modern FTP client. I had this issues when using FTPSRV on a old 8-bit ISA ethernet card with FileZilla to upload. Ether FTPSRV would freeze or FileZilla would disconnect when using the default upload rate (unlimited). Reducing the rate and all files were uploaded successfully.

You can bypass the BIOS limitations by using something like ANYDRIVE.

I would suspect a damaged floppy cable. But if the FTP is also failing, maybe verifying the power supply is still in good condition would be a starting point.

Swapped floppy cable, thinking the same, and saw no changes
The machine otherwise behaves completely normally, power supply wasn't on my radar at all. Not ruling it out, but also not thinking it's a likely issue at present.

I found a drive that can use the type numbering system, a Maxtor 7120AT, and I had written Type 36 on the label some years ago. I set the BIOS up for that, jumpered the drives as appropriate, and the system recognized it. Created a partition and formatted it no problem. I tend to think that powering a second antique hard drive would push a flaky PSU to misbehave, so that's another point in favour of PSU not being a problem.

As expected the USB-IDE device is having none of it, doesn't like that drive.

I have a Socket 7 board somewhere I can hook this up to and hopefully get the MTCP files onto it.
Once the MTCP files are back on the 286, I can then verify if the FTP issues persist and worry about those separately. I wasn't doing anything different than with the PS/2s though, the only difference was the old MTCP release on the 286 originally, hence thinking that would resolve the FTP issue.

The floppy issue, I'd like to find a resolution to, but it's by far my least favourite way to get things onto or off of old hardware so I can deal with it being inoperative as long as I can get FTP operational. I'd still like to know what's going on with it, of course.

Edit: ninja-posted:

Most modern USB to IDE adapters use chipsets that support LBA addressing only. Your IDE hard drive is very old and only supports CHS addressing which confuses the USB adapter that expects the drives to support LBA. I have an old IDE adapter with USB & parallel ports supporting both CHS and LBA. Such an adapter would be hard to find, so your best bet is to connect the drive to an old motherboard with IDE ports.

Regarding FTPSRV intermittent failures, try to limit the upload rate on your FTP client to perhaps 10KB/s. The internal NIC (connected to a 8-bit ISA slot?) probably has a small buffer size and cannot keep up with the relatively high network traffic generated by your modern FTP client. I had this issues when using FTPSRV on a old 8-bit ISA ethernet card with FileZilla to upload. Ether FTPSRV would freeze or FileZilla would disconnect when using the default upload rate (unlimited). Reducing the rate and all files were uploaded successfully.

You can bypass the BIOS limitations by using something like ANYDRIVE.

Will do, re: older motherboard.
Interesting point about limiting the FTP client. I'll check what's available, I'm using FileZilla (current newest release on a Win10 laptop). The NIC is in a 16-bit slot and is a 16-bit card, but I agree it's likely possible to overwhelm it. I suppose this is another variable from the other two machines...it's not the same model NIC. But on the other hand one of the PS/2s is an 8086 with 8-bit slots and I can shove files at it left and right all day with no problems. Shrug. I'll give it a try.

No familiarity with ANYDRIVE, this is overlay software from the look of a quick Google? I don't mind the type number limitations but I'm sure it'll get annoying when all the type-number drives are dead and gone.

Last edited:
No familiarity with ANYDRIVE, this is overlay software from the look of a quick Google? I don't mind the type number limitations but I'm sure it'll get annoying when all the type-number drives are dead and gone.

You can download ANYDRIVE from here:

https://www.pcorner.com/list/HDUTIL/ANYDRIVE.ZIP/INFO/

Just run the tool with the drive's CHS values and ANYDRIVE will install a custom MBR on your hard disk drive. The next time you restart your machine, ANYDRIVE will start its own overlay software that overrides BIOS INT 13H to provide support for hard disk drives not in the BIOS type list. I've used it many times and it's quite straight forward.

Apart from FTP, you can also try to use HTGET.EXE that comes with MTCP. Run a HTTP web server on your Windows 10 laptop (for example, by using Microsoft Internet Information Services that comes with Windows) and use HTGET to download files from it. You will most likely not encounter the buffer issues as IIS is a much more matured web-server and can handle very slow download speed, as slow as your 286 NIC can work with.

Last edited:
Alright...immediate crisis resolved. Appropriately, I used another luggable (Dolch PAC 64, AI5TV mb) to transfer files onto the spare drive I had, then put that drive in the 286 and copied the files over. It's now idling on freenode just fine.

Will explore the overlay software when a drive replacement is on the horizon (not yet - that Seagate ST3120A sounds wonderful), and FTP config the next time I need to put something onto it or pull it off from it.

As for the floppy issues, I'd like to have some sort of idea what's going on here. Is there some definitive diagnostic procedure to figure out what's up with the motherboard-integrated floppy controller? Multiple cables, multiple drives, the remaining thing to check is the motherboard/BIOS...

As for the floppy issues, I'd like to have some sort of idea what's going on here. Is there some definitive diagnostic procedure to figure out what's up with the motherboard-integrated floppy controller? Multiple cables, multiple drives, the remaining thing to check is the motherboard/BIOS...

You can try CheckIt (https://archive.org/details/checkit_30), although I am not sure what it can tell you or what kind of problems it can diagnose without a working floppy drive (and compatible disks) to begin with. If all fails, I would open up the machine and probe the various pins at the cable to understand what signals are being sent to the drive and if the drive ever responds..

Last edited:
Back