• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HD floppy support & skipping floppy POST on IBM XT

bjt

Experienced Member
Let me tell a story in case it helps someone else in future :cool:

Recently I replaced the original IBM floppy controller with a generic 16-bit multi I/O card in my IBM XT, the objective being to gain high-density floppy support. I have a XT-IDE card in this machine which provides the ability to easily flash a BIOS extension for HD support alongside the XT-IDE BIOS.
The floppy BIOS I use is from Sergey's FDC project: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-fdc-and-uart

This all worked well, apart from a couple of bugbears:

- Intermittent 601 (floppy/FDC) POST errors
- Following cold/warm reboot and POST, accessing a high-density disk would give a general failure in DOS, unless a low-density disk was accessed first.

On boot, the floppy BIOS is initialised during POST and sets up the FDC, then the floppy POST checks run. Apart from the seek test sounding like crap on ageing drives, I suspect the XT BIOS messes up the FDC settings, for example setting the data rate back to 250kbps/low-density.

On a PC 5150, a dipswitch can be used to disable floppy POST. However on an XT, the switch also makes the POST loop indefinitely.
The obvious solution is to modify the XT BIOS, but this requires burning an EPROM.
Instead, I was able to modify the floppy BIOS to skip floppy POST after initialisation.
The floppy POST code is immediately after option ROM initialisation, so we can modify the stack to skip the floppy POST code while returning to the XT BIOS.

Note:

- Requires the ability to modify either the floppy BIOS or another option ROM. The XT-IDE or the lo-tech ROM card makes this easy.
- As subsequent option ROMs won't be initialised, the modified option ROM should be the last one to be initialised.
- Tested on XT BIOS 01/10/86, others not tested but should work.

The following code should be inserted immediately before the RETF at the end of the option ROM initialisation code:

58 POP AX // Discard IP
58 POP AX // Retrieve CS
59 POP CX // Discard DX
59 POP CX // Retrieve IP
83C173 ADD CX,73 // For BIOS 01/10/86. Change to 72 for BIOS 05/09/85, 6C for BIOS 11/08/82. Increases stored IP to skip past floppy POST.
1F POP DS // Restore DS
50 PUSH AX // Save CS
51 PUSH CX // Save modified IP
(CB RETF) // Return to XT BIOS

Make sure to fix up the BIOS checksum value.

With these changes the floppy POST gets completely skipped, so it's up to the floppy BIOS to initialise the controller. This obviously prevents the seek test and 601 POST errors but also fixed my issue with accessing HD floppies after boot. In the case of Sergey's floppy BIOS, I just overwrote the INT19 handler install code with the above changes as I'm using the XT-IDE BIOS to handle floppy boot.

Last edited:
I've been using Sergey's FDC Bios in my IBM XT 5160 for a long time now, I use a 16-bit multi I/O controller / XT-IDE universal bios / Compact flash / 360K and 1.44 with no problems.

I've been using Sergey's FDC Bios in my IBM XT 5160 for a long time now, I use a 16-bit multi I/O controller / XT-IDE universal bios / Compact flash / 360K and 1.44 with no problems.

What's the date of your XT bios? As far as I can see the '82 BIOS only does a seek test and doesn't alter the controller settings.

Last edited:
I've used the same setup with both the 82 and last available XT bios though Several months ago i removed the Bios chips and sockets from the motherboard, Replaced the sockets with turned pin sockets and made up a quick and dirty adapter board with 2 x 27512 eproms, I have the 82 XT bios with Sergeys FDC bios and the XT-IDE bios in the lower half and the last available XT bios in the upper half, I also have a Lo-tech ROM board with Sergeys FDC bios and the XT-IDE bios for when i switch to the Last XT Bios, It works fine but i intend to make a better adapter and maybe use bigger eproms so i can switch between various configs one day.

Interesting. I guess it's just something about my FDC or the HxC Gotek floppy emulator that was causing these problems with the floppy POST.

I don't have a Gotek floppy emulator, I have 1 CF inside and 1 CF accessible from the rear so it's easy to transfer files to the XT, I'm hoping that someone will design a ISA-USB controller that was discussed a little while back. Move the CF to the front with USB, what else could i want :)

Back