• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HD Trouble!

Sweet!

So...Does anyone know of a good IRC server & channel where I could get some help to fix my current HD? There's one I regularly go to, but for some reason, after just 1 friendly post, I get banned from the server, & I'm too lazy to go through a proxy. So...Anyone know of a good channel?

You got me confused, you posted one friendly post and got banned, from the place you say you regularly goto?
How do you regularly goto somewhere you got banned from?
Best place for computer help is a modern computer forum.
www.aoaforums.com is a pretty good one.
THere are plenty of members who can help you.

===UpDaTe!!!===

After some Googling with my good friend, Google (Do you know him? :p), It looks like my last PSU took out my HD w/ it (& apperantly not anything else...Must of been the connectors those 2-3 diodes where connected to...)

Well, it's a big HD (40GB), & I kinda have everything customized to my own specific likings, so do you guys think it would be possible to repair the PCB? Or better yet, does anyone know where to get another PCB for the same model? Would it be possible to order a PCB from the manufactuer?

Hard drives are cheap and used ones even cheaper. You should be able to find the exact model on eBay, at least, but check with the manufacturor first as they may have spare parts to sell you.

Good luck!

You not only need a HDD with the same model number, but also the same revision of PCB. VERY hard to find unless it is an almost brand new drive.

On drives that wouldn't boot, I have found that some of them are quite happy to work as a non-booting slave drive.

I have a very vague memory of hearing about replacement PCBs that worked with a subset of different hard disks, perhaps configurable. Maybe I was dreaming or misunderstanding the purpose?

Back