• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Bryan Eggers, formerly Software Affair (Orch-90)

beggers

Hello to everyone! It's great to see this support for all the vintage computers. I thought I'd introduce myself by explaining how I got involved with the TRS-80 and eventually developed several products for Tandy. Hopefully some of you will know what I'm talking about.

I first saw the TRS-80 Model I at a Radio Shack in Hayward, California. It blew me away! Prior to that all I had seen were computers with switches and punched tapes. I bought one and started playing with it day and night.

In those days there were no disc drives - everything was stored on tape, so I subscribed to CLOAD magazine and learned a lot from examining their programs. I eventually licensed my first program to CLOAD. It was a BASIC program I wrote called "A Space Cartoon". It was a little bit of animation that featured an alien arriving in a space ship and running up to an outhouse on the moon. You'd have to be pretty old to remember that one! I actually did a massive rewrite of that concept to make a promotional animation for Tandy (using Graphics-90). This time the alien landed and walked into a Radio Shack store. He walked out with a computer. A lot of the stores ran this demo continuously, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I started attending some of the TRS-80 users groups that were springing up and met all kinds of interesting people, including my friend Jon Bokelman. At one of these meetings he demonstrated a prototype music synthesizer that played Bach in 4-part harmony. You have to understand that this was so unusual, people couldn't believe it. They were looking under the table to see if Jon was fooling them. I made a deal with Jon a few days later and founded Software Affair, Ltd.

Our first product was Orchestra-80, a mono music synthesizer for the Model I. We sold Orch-80 through some of the TRS-80 magazines and eventually released a stereo version called Orchestra-85.

We soon got a call from Tandy. They secretly bought one, got excited about it, and wanted to license it from us. So the Tandy version became Orchestra-90, which ran on the Model III/IV.

We also had a support group on Compuserve where you could trade music files. Based on the fact that there were so many music files in circulation, Tandy asked us to make a cartridge version for the Color Computer. This one became Orchestra-90/CC.

Around this time our company began working with my friend Larry Payne. We created some other products for Tandy such as the game "13 Ghosts" and Graphics-90. Tandy started relying on us for all their printer-related software. We made a sideways printing utility for spreadsheets, a font editor, the printer buffer and who knows what else. At one time I literally had every Tandy computer in my garage for testing.

I pitched an idea for an Orchestra-1000 to Tandy and they agreed to it. However, by that time the writing was on the wall -- Tandy would probably be dropping out of the computer business very soon.

I remember one time I was visiting Tandy headquarters in Ft. Worth and two of the top marketing managers asked me to take a walk with them. They wanted to show me something. We walked down the block to a small computer store. Sitting there was the first MacIntosh computer. It was amazing. We all looked at each other and I know they thinking "this isn't going to be good for Tandy". I honestly believe that the MacIntosh was one of the factors that convinced Tandy they couldn't compete in computers any longer.

Please respond with any comments. Thanks for listening!

Ira Goldklang's site has a lot of Software Affair programs plus some new Orch-related programs contributed by Jon Bokelman. Check it out at:

http://www.trs-80.com

Yours was probably the first high-fidelity audio system for any computer. Only until the Commodore 64 and Amiga did computers have synthesizer-quality audio. I always wanted one of your units but never got one. I still have a Model I, 4 and 4P. Sometime I need to "fire up" my David Keil emulator and see how the sounds would have been like so long ago.
Rick Ethridge

Rick Ethridge said:
Yours was probably the first high-fidelity audio system for any computer. Only until the Commodore 64 and Amiga did computers have synthesizer-quality audio. I always wanted one of your units but never got one. I still have a Model I, 4 and 4P. Sometime I need to "fire up" my David Keil emulator and see how the sounds would have been like so long ago.
Rick Ethridge

Thanks for the comments, Rick. You can also play ORCH tunes on your PC using a couple of PC-based programs that Jon made. I think one is a Winamp plug-in. Check out some of the arrangements by Larry Alexander if you can find them -- he was awesome. Now he arranges on a PC using Cakewalk. He has a website with free MP3s at http://www.alexandermusic.com

I had a bunch of Tandy computers until about a year ago when I moved. I finally gave them all away. We had a lot of fun back then.

beggers,

Any idea where I can get a copy of the alien-in-the-outhouse thinggy today? That sounds twisted enough to fit my collection nicely. BTW, I used to have the Orch-90 for my CoCo, but never got a chance to play with it much.

--T

Terry Yager said:
beggers,

Any idea where I can get a copy of the alien-in-the-outhouse thinggy today? That sounds twisted enough to fit my collection nicely. BTW, I used to have the Orch-90 for my CoCo, but never got a chance to play with it much.

--T

Ira has it on his downloading page here:

http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-1o.htm

I don't have any way of running it anymore, so hopefully that's the original version.

Back