• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help Coleco Adam lot valuation

patscc

Veteran Member
I'm posting this on behalf of some one else.
I need some help in determining a fair price for this Adam lot.
The some one else has kinda a bad taste in his mouth from people that want it for free, people that want it for free and shipped to them for free, and so on.
So please, can we skip all the usual cracks about taking it for free, etc. ?
Some of the pictures are a bit blurry, sorry about that.
Thanks
patscc
Here are the pics, might take a bit to load.
123_0362.jpg

123_0363.jpg

123_0364.jpg

123_0365.jpg

123_0366.jpg

123_0367.jpg

123_0368.jpg

123_0369.jpg

123_0370.jpg

123_0371.jpg

123_0372.jpg

123_0373.jpg

123_0374.jpg

123_0375.jpg

123_0376.jpg

123_0377.jpg

continued in next post

Well, in order to maximize the selling of this Coleco lot - I would redo all the pictures so as to present it at it's best. Next I would tell the condition(s) of things, including the printer. Does it boot up to BASIC. (A sore point with many ADAM's) because the BASIC cartridge tapes are ruined. How about the testing of some of all those cartridge tapes in this lot?
I'm no ADAM expert - just telling you what I'd be looking for as a somewhat educated buyer. I'd venture a 'guess' at a price of $100. minimum not counting shipping as something to consider. There certainly is a lot of cartridge tapes, but whether any or many of them work or not has not been determined. If the seller is looking for a higher price then he needs to clarify and make a good presentation of the goods.
I've always really liked the Coleco ADAM but finding one in 'good' working condition, with minimized yellowing and that will load and run BASIC is a big task. I remember when Coleco tried to unload these in the stores many years ago my brother got one for a great price and I played with it a while. It's cool because it's quite unique as BASIC computers go with it's incorporation of the Coleco game system. It's really a fine piece of history. I'd bet there are many that would desire it even in a non-working state, but I'm not one of those - my vintage machines 'must' be all in working condition or they get the boot if not easily repaired. But that's just me :)

Looks like quite a bit of water/mold damage on the box and manuals and you have no idea if it works or if the tapes still load so maybe $60+. If you want top dollar you have to spend the time to show it boots and random tapes work (decent pictures etc). Shipping is something that will eat into what people will pay for that plus it will take a decent amount of materials and time to package it.

A nice looking ADAM sold for $200 recently on ebay but it was shown working and the box looked mint (shipping alone was $75 or so).

As most and I think you also know if it works, then showing it running will make the sale. Too bad about the box. I only recently saw a pristine boxed one which was awesome. Given though the value in your friends unit is the software. I'm not on top of the value of those other than seeing a lot of unboxed systems go for relatively cheap ($50?) but I would certainly think the software they have (CPM would be badass) is probably worth about the same as the system or more. They could do the name a price and take offers, or just go for the auction value or even post it in the VCGM here. Just the more folks who know about it the better.

It looks like you've got quite a bit of pirated tapes (which generally don't work very well) and there looks to be a lot of water damage to the manuals. Three redeeming qualities is there are a LOT of tapes, there's a second tape drive, and that modem is a bit hard to find. Somewhere in the vicinity of $50 would be a good price for the lot if the computer works. Hell, I'd pay $50 for it.

Back