• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help Identify ISA card

roadrash

Experienced Member
I have been sorting through a crate of old ISA cards I have and there are some very interesting and unusual cards in there as well as some I just cant identify.
One of these I cannot find any info on and cant find anything like it in TH99.
I think its a video output card of some kind but I cant tell what type MDA/CGA and w who make it. There are 2 (female) D connectors on the back, a 25 way and a 9 way. There is one row of 6 header pins at the top that have no marking and there are 3 main chips that will probably help identify what this is.
the 3 chips are~;
1) UM2301 (socketed) (Maybe a 20V P-Channel Power MOSFET)
2) UM6845R (40pin DIP) aparently it looks like it may be a CRT controller.
3) National semiconductor SCX6212RUL/V4 (PLCC-68) which maybe a Gate array.

The only markings the card has is number (YU-2008) and the 2 stickers one which is like a red globe with the letters WI in the centre. The other is just a plain white label with ATK-757726.
Nothing is found on a search of these.
Pln you take a look at the picture and see if you recognise what this is. I dont want to try it in any machine until I know for sure what it is.

20180108_204002.jpg

Your guess seems reasonable to me. I expect it's probably MDA, as the board has its own oscillator. The UM2301 is probably a mask programmed ROM containing the character set. Doesn't look like it has enough memory to be Hercules compatible (actually it looks like it only has 2 KB? which isn't even as much as the IBM MDA -- not sure what that's about).

Looks like a Hercules Graphics Card clone to me.
The DE9 is the monitor connector, the DB25 is the printer port, and 6 pin header is the light pen connector.

The 24 pin socketed IC (UM2301) is the ROM with the font.

Thanks,
Sergey

Doesn't look like it has enough memory to be Hercules compatible (actually it looks like it only has 2 KB? which isn't even as much as the IBM MDA -- not sure what that's about).

If you look closer, there are two additional DRAM ICs, likely 64 Kbit x 4 - second from the left column, fourth and fifth from the top.
The 2 KiB SRAM chip you're referring to (Sony CXX5816P-12) is apparently used for the smooth scrolling.

Good spot, I couldn't see enough detail to make out the markings on the smaller chips. If they're 64k x 4, that'd make it a likely Hercules compatible.

Thanks I will have see if I can spot a Hercules card like this now to find who made it. Not sure if I have a monitor for this card though as I only have CGA EGA & VGA type displays. The only monochrome monitors I have are on old Amstrad Cp/m computers (8512 & 9512 etc) and a Apricot I repaired and restored last autumn and the Apricot monitors only work with Apricots as I found out. I do have some others but they are Multisyncs etc and some Commodore monitors. What is the difference between Monochrome & Hercules?

Thanks for that info Sergey, Seeing as you are good at identifying these boards I have another I just fished out that has no identity and could be MDA, CGA or EGA. Can you halp work out what this other one is. Here is a picture of it:

20180114_193010.jpg

Back