• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

help installing Hard drive in IBM XT

gleegum

Hello guys,
I have this IBM XT that is working fine, except for the hard drive, which is a Seagate ST-238R.
This drive has a broken flex, and I've tried formatting it several times with debug with no luck.

Now I recently got an old 486 with a Seagate ST-251-1 MFM drive 80mb.
I would like to know if it's possible to install this drive in the IBM with the controller that was using the ST-238R drive.
The card that came with this drive has a different connector, so I'm not sure if I can try it in the XT.

So far, I've tried formatting it from a DOS3.3 disk with debug -g=C800:5 and it asks me to format the drive, and then after a minute it stops with "ERROR---completion code 80".
I've changed the switch jumpers on the controller, the best I could get was jumper 8, jumper 3 for example tries to format the drive but after 10 seconds the error completion code 80 appears.

So I'm not sure about the jumpers configuration or maybe this drive is not supported by this card?

IBM XT controller is WD100S2-WX2A revision says "X1"
the 486 controller I wasn't able to find any info, The label looks like it says WD1006V-MM2.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Do you mean that the cable that connects the ST-238R to the controller card is broken? If that's the case, the cable from the ST-251 should work; the ST-251 and the ST-238R use the same cables (also the same as the ST-225 which is the non-"R" version of the ST-238R).

-ken

Back