• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help me! PIII Overheating!

Where I live, there is a shop specialized in modding video games like PS2 and Xbox. Many of the customers come there with unused consoles, installs the mod chip and at the same time upgrades the hard disk to a 80 MB or larger one. It means the store has a surplus of more or less unused second hand 8-10 GB hard disks, unlocked so they can be used with any IDE system. I've bought a couple of those (approx $10 each), and they're really quiet and reasonably fast. Not as fast as RAM of course, but I'd think putting a such hard disk on its own IDE chain (or in combination with CD if you don't use it much) and use for swap, it would be more than sufficient. As you seem to have acceess to a wide array of other computers, I'd save my money for upgrades either on more modern or more vintage computers as I saw needed.

Atari, I didn't think of the pci-cf adapter. I just saw what was cheap and thinking of versatility. If I was to do that, I'd have both cf and pcmcia available if I ever needed it. And it's still pretty cheap. I'm in El Paso, so cooling is a real issue here, too. I have the case sides off my machine all the time and when it gets too hot and starts shutting down randomly I set a small box fan near it to carry away heat.

Carlsson, I wish there was a store near here like that. Talk about a cool store! Everyone around here sells for top dollar all the time, new or used. And no game-modding shops to speak of.

OK, I managed to find 2 average-looking case fans, & one really powerful case fan that plugs directly into an outlet & then has another cable so you can plug your PSU in through it. How much do you think all these will bring my CPU tempurature down to? (It's at 180F now, w/ no thermal grease & w/ at 35MHz under it's standard speed)

I'll post a picture of them later.

I don't know the algebraic formula that'll figure out what your new temperature will be, but if you have good airflow in the case it'll go down. Have you thought about going to some little sheetmetal shop and having vents pressed into the case sides? It's not a bad idea. And you have the excuse to give it a cool paint job. Really, the keyword is airflow in and out. About those three fans, have at least one act as an exhaust fan. The ps fan just can't cut it.

Yeah, well the big fan I think I have no choice but to put on the outside of the back of the case. I'll look more closely at the other fans, see which one's more powerful, & then put it at the front of the case. Unless I can get 2 fans running on the same connector on the MB, I'm just gonna have to set the other fan aside for now.

Ya know, nice LED fans are inexpensive and nice looking, and offer a nice amount of CFM movement.
I like TT or sunon fans. Nidecs are my fav, but are far too expensive.

Well, my case sucks, so I can't put the big fan in (It would of cooled things down at least 15F too!:( ) so for now I'm stuck w/ only using 1 fan in the front.

My PSU died today. I flipped the PSU switch, heard a long & nasty zap, then saw & smelt smoke. The 5V circuitry is still fine, but everything else is dead! I opened it up, turns out 6 years of dust shorted some diodes or something!!! Ironically, I was planning on cleaning all the dust out of it today too!

I might be able to go to a surplus tommorow to pick up another PSU, but for now, I mourn my dead, 6yr, burnt-PCB-&-Diode-smelling PSU...

===UpDaTe!!!===

I'm not freaking lying about what I'm about to say.

I have my CPU overclocked 87MHz (4x155MHz=620MHz, original speed 4x133MHz=533MHz) w/ less than a 5F increase in tempurature!!!!

No crashes or anything!

WTF, is this normal!?

Oh my freakin, freakin noobie sauce.

No, that is not normal, and I highly doubt that is accurate.....

-VK

That is quite possible with early renditions of the katmai core, which he may luckily have.
Or, the cpu is actually clocked high than what he thinks it is, and an overclock is still an underclock.

^^^^^SYNTAX ERROR!!!!!!!^^^^^ (in last sentence)

Can you say that again Alexkerhead? I couldn't really understand that last part.:D

& by the way, I know for sure that the CPU's standard speed is 533MHz.

I had to post this since it's relevant to the conversation. At 82F room temp, with the case sides removed, the CPU temperature is 143F, and with a fan sitting off to the side ($10, walgreens) it goes to around 123F. Those are both with a big heatsink and fan on an AMD 1.2ghz proc.

Back