• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help needed to revive an old IBM PS/1 Pro desktop PC

ftanguis

Good evening all,

I'm new nere and very happy to join the community eventhough I'm based in Europe!

I got the oportunity to put my hands on an old PS/1 pro (type 2123) that gives me hard times.

The PC is based on a 386 SX 20 with onboard 2mb of RAM.

The HDD is a 40Mb IBM model.

Even if I do not have a 14 pin monitor, I was able to get a display through a VGA ISA card.

The PC shows 4 error codes :

Looks like the error codes are related to the CMOS battery and the keyboard / mainboard.

For 161 and 163 error codes, I've replaced the CR2032 with a new battery but I still but get the same codes...

For 304 / 303 error codes whatever the PS2 keyboard I plug (I don't have any IBM keyboard from that era though), the codes show up.

The lights on the keyboard briefly light up at start and then keyboard show nonother signs of life.

Do you guys ever experienced that kind of issue? How did you sort this out?

Do you guys have a service manual for the motherboard? Cause I see several jumpers but I can't figure out what they are for.
Are there some keys to enter Bios?
The PC only show a crossed red book and there are 2 bips at start

Many thanks for your help, I really would like to revive this old chap!

Thanks!

PS: I did not notice any bad capacitors on the board.

On ps/2 161/163 errors won’t go away until ones sets the system up in the bios (refdisk on ps/2, ps/1 do have bios). Quick google got me ps/1 maintenance manual on manualslib which says to get into “configuration utility” one either press enter when the errors are shown or presses f1.

Back