• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help repairing an IBM model 80

JoJo_ReloadeD

Experienced Member
Hi all!

Lately I'm having problems with my model 80. It had the 162/163 errors due to a expired battery. I ordered a CR123 to replace it and installed today. All without troubles... or that was I was thinking...

First of all the text (80x25 mode) is in black and white... and it didn't start windows 95. Screen flickered when loading the desktop and then the system hanged and started beeping. It must be the XGA2, checked it and seemed ok. I went to check the memory and checkit also hanged. Doom worked flawlessly. Tried memtest (a version that works on 386 systems). Hangs too...

It must be the CPU I thought, I have it with a Cyrix 486drx2@50 (I have the 25mhz board). Uninstalled the CPU and saw it has a bent pin. I repaired it and installed it again... same errors.

Well, I must have fried the CPU, swapped it with another Cyrix, same result... tried its standard 386@25... same result...

It must be the add on cards... tried to unplug all of them and I got the same error. Also with the onboard vga I am getting the black and white text instead the color one... even on the menus of the reference disk...

I'm out of ideas right now...

Without a 75Ω load on the planar VGA port, the system will come up in grayscale mode, as you have noticed. Plug the cable into the planar VGA before you turn the system on. If that solves the problem, get a VGA terminator, plug it into the planar VGA, connect the monitor to the XGA, and continue with ilfe.

My bad, I didn't notice you said XGA2.

Use the reference disk to disable the planar VGA.

Thanks for the answers,

when I tried changing the configuration of the system I always used the reference disk to keep it up to date. In any case the problem persists; can't load windows, can't do a memory test and the 80x25 is always on black & white.

Will keep you informed :)

At last I found what was causing the problem... the ethernet card... a Etherlink III. Without it the system boots as usual. The B/W problem was caused by the KVM.

Thanks to all for the answers :)

Back