• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help req. with Epson EHT-40

Hippo

Hi

I have recently aquired an Epson EHT-40. This is a handheld device with a 386SX CPU, touchscreen, PCMCIA slots running MS-DOS 6.22 in ROM.

I have found a few bits of information regarding it and managed to download some drivers from Epson.

I would like to get it to boot straight to DOS instead of to the menu it boots to now. There is an advanced menu you can access by holding down the menu button on startup. This gives you access to a DOS prompt.

I'd also be greatful of any other information you have on this device, Im looking for the 'System Guide' and 'Software Tools' if anyone has them.

Thanks in Advance

Is there an "C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT" file you can edit to get rid of the menu?..

i.e.

cd\
edit autoexec.bat

save the original as "autoexec.bak" so you have a copy

and take it from there...

I have an Epson EHT-400C, which is perhaps very similar, but mine is 50MHz 486-powered. Anyways, mine will only boot to the ROM by going thru the built-in menu first (it doesn't have a 'menu' button). This 'problem' goes away after you install a bootable hard drive (solid-state or mechanical) into one of the PCMCIA sockets, then it will boot from the 'real' hard drive. The bootable socket is configured in the system setup.

--T

Last edited:
What DON'T you have Terry????

Ummn...I don't have the Suburban full of stuff I had a couple weeks ago...
I chipped in too soon without doing my homework, sorry, What a cute little beastie!

MeToo! I chimed in before I googled it. Seems the two ain't very similar at all hardware-wise, but possibly the firm/software is close.

--T

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a 48MB Sandisk PCMCIA Card on the way so I can try booting from that as there is an option to switch the boot order in the extended menu.

When you boot to the extended menu (by holding the menu key down during boot) there is an option to boot to DOS. I believe however that the autoexec.bat is not the one loaded at boot time since there are many more things loaded than appear in there. Also EDIT is not available from DOS, I can only use the TYPE command. Once I can transfer files I can have a look at them properly.

The only way to transfer files is with a link cable, which I dont have but I can guess its connections and will have a go at making one next week when I get back to work.

Its a great little device, mono backlit touchscreen and a virtual keyboard driver for DOS. It has an external serial port and an IRDA port on the back.

I'll let you know how I get on with it, it will be useful for anyone else who has one of these.

Thanks again for your help

Actually it has MS-DOS V6.22 in boot rom. It doesnt have edit though :(

I have tried the link cable but I am struggling to get it to work. I have tried all the combinations of cable connections which might work, TX/RX and OV and various null modem cable configuations but none seem to work. The PC program/EHT-40 program refuse to see each other :(

I will have my PCMCIA flash disk soon, I should be able to throw an OS on there and see what happens.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you can do simple edits with standard DOS commands.

If you rename autoexec.bat to autoexec.sav, then you can do

copy con: autoexec.bat
{type all the stuff you want here,
in multiple lines too
then press ctrl-z to end the copy}

and there you go, a new autoexec.bat

can also use "type newlines.txt>>autoexec.bat" to append to the end.

Some more news..

My Sandisk 48MB PCMCIA flash card arrived today, Sandisk P/N: SDP3B-48

I can copy files to and from it on a laptop, I can also read and write files on it when inserted into the EHT-40 in DOS. (DOS prompt from menu)

However I cant get it to boot from the flash card. I have set the options in the menu to boot from ATA instead of ROM. It looks like its trying to do something but hangs, sometimes displaying the flash disk name (Sandisk ...)

I know its a working disk but the EHT-40 cant boot from it. I've tried various methods of formatting it with a bootsector on it (FORMAT /S) from the laptop and from the EHT-40 DOS prompt. Also tried Fdisking it. No success :(

Either the EHT-40 truly cannot boot from this flash or I have not set it up correctly as a bootable device. Any Ideas?

On a side note I found out today I cannot edit any of the files on the Boot ROM, since its a ROM.. Duh!:crazy: I can copy from here though.

It seems that on a normal boot it loads an autoexec/config that I cannot find, loading a menu program I cannot find (possibly hidden in ROM). If you hold down the menu button on power on you get an 'Engineer's' Menu which allows access to a DOS prompt amongst other things.

I would like to be able to boot from a flash disk since from the engineers menu I can change the screen mode from vertical (default) to landscape, this would make DOS easier. This works on boot but as soon as the engineering menu is loaded it returns to vertical.

On a side point the serial channel works, I have tried with a DOS comms program that is used to talk to a piece of hardware via a serial link. This worked flawlessly. Will have another look at the EHT-40 comms programs.

Any information I find on this device I will post on here, someone may have the same device at some point and its starting to become a small repository of knowledge on the thing :)

I have contacted a supplied of the EHT-40 (well there webpage says there a supplier, but its an OLD device) we'll see if they can provide any info.

I may create a webpage at some point with all the info I have gleamed, Im sure it would be of use to someone.

I'll try to take some pictures of the unit soon.

Thanks again for your suggestions

That is funny :) The "ROM" thing didn't sink in with me either. Just get out your UV eraser to edit.

I haven't had much success with booting flash drives either.

Hi guys,

I actually used to program the Epson EHT line. I wrote the System Guide and Software Tools books (Im pretty sure. It's been awhile.) These were really sweet little computers. I have a box in the basement with a bunch of computers, manuals, etc. Id love to help you all out if you are still interested.

please contact me off-list if I can help.

Cheers
Andrew Kornylak
Atlanta, GA
akornylak@gmail.com
www.akornphoto.com

Back