• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help Saving to Floppies on Apple II

Mister_Alex

Experienced Member
I am having a hard time saving my BASIC programs onto 5.25 floppy disks on my Apple II. Most articles says to use the 'SAVE' command, but it's still confusing. Can anyone please help?

On my IIc, under Basic (with closed square bracket as my prompt), if i type "LIST" (all commands without double-quotes) , i get to see the Basic program I have in memory, and then if i type "SAVE TESTSAVE", the floppy spins and my program is saved, with filename TESTSAVE. If that's not working for you, what error or message do you get?

Also remember that all Apple DOS 3.3 commands must be typed in uppercase or else they won't work, which is why the official system disk reminds you to put Caps Lock on.

Unlike many other vintage computers, the disk commands (LOAD, SAVE, RUN, etc.) do not use double-quotes around the file name.

And of course, the disk must be formatted first in DOS 3.3 format before you can save anything to it, using the INIT HELLO command, or a suitable third-party disk formatting utility.

Most important is to first boot from a DOS floppy.
Applesoft BASIC needs the DOS extensions to know how to read and write to floppy drives.
Without DOS, for example the SAVE command assumes you want to save to the cassette I/O port (audio cassette).

Back