• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help troubleshooting T1000 TL/2 hard drive…

Jibbajaba

Experienced Member
I just took my TL/2 down off the shelf and hooked it up for the first time in maybe 18 months, and it’s acting like it doesn’t have a hard drive. Worked fine the last time I used it, obviously. But the last time I had it hooked up I had put a CF card in there and copied everything off the hard drive, but other than that I don’t remember what I was doing. I’m wondering if it’s possible that I somehow disabled the hard drive controller? FDISK doesn’t see a hard drive, and neither do diagnostic programs like CheckIt and SpeedStor. Already tried reseating the cables. The hard drive does get warm to the touch, so it’s getting power. But I don’t hear any kind of clicking at all, ever. There’s no setting for a hard drive in the TL2 config utility, so I don’t know what else to try. Obviously it’s possible that either the controller or the drive went bad, but that seems weird considering that it was just working the last time I used it, and there hasn’t been any catastrophic act, like dropping the computer or turning it on and getting a puff of smoke.

So I guess what I’m asking is am I missing anything obvious? Anything else I can check?

Thanks!

Chris

I can only add that I had a similar experience with my 1000HD. After letting it sit for some weeks, when I went to use it the hard drive is not working. So, I am going to put in an XT CF adapter and a CF card in hopes that I can get it back in working condition. Old Hard Drives can be dodgy and the older they get the more chance they will fail.

Seaken

Does anyone have any idea where I can get the “hinstall.pdm” program? Not seeing it in the usual location for Tandy stuff. Like I said I can’t remember what I may have done when I was messing around with setting the system up, but I wonder if it’s possible that I reformatted the drive in a way that made it so that the computer isn’t seeing it? Otherwise why did I completely backup the drives contents? But can the drive be formatted such that even FDISK doesn’t see it? I don’t know. It doesn’t seem to me like the drive is spinning, though. But should it spin as long as it has power?

In the mean time I have an XT CF card from Blue Lava that I’m going to install. I’d prefer to have a real hard drive in there, but it’s not the end of the world if the drive or controller truly is dead.

Last edited:
Back