• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with the description of a vintage pc (and BIOS screen) for a novel book

AntinoLoRusso

Hello everyone,

I'm Antino from Italy and I would like to ask someone's help for the technical description of an old computer.

To give you some context, I'm writing a fiction book set in the 90's and I want to introduce into the story a plausible PC for the time/location in question, using what little memory I have of the first computer I had. I searched on the internet for a long time but I couldn't put together a description that satisfied me.

The place which the story takes place is northern Italy around 1999 and the computer I had at the time was already second-hand, bought by a relatively poor family. The only certain information I have is that it had windows 95, the rest could be false memories so feel free to change the values/names if they don't make sense. I think he had a hard disk of less than 500 MB and I remember a RAM of about 4 GB. I don't remember the model but I imagine it was the most popular.

I know that it's little information, but it doesn't matter that it's the same computer, I care that it's historically accurate. I tried to write down a possible description by putting the elements that I would like to stand out. If someone would like to add others elements such as a sound or a graphics card, it would be great.

This is the short description:

A *brand and model* (maybe IBM?) white with CD reader, floppy disk drive, Pentium MMX processor at 166 Mhz (?), 350 MB hard disk, 4 megabytes of RAM and 32-bit Windows 95 operating system.

Sure this description is the most important part, but I'd also like to include a BIOS description that doesn't contradict the information I'm going to write. From my research I have come to this, but I am sure that there are several errors, especially since I have not yet established the basic characteristics of the PC.

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-96, Award Software, Inc.

Version 6.201j900

PENTIUM-MMX CPU at 166MHz
Memory Test : 131072K OK

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Copyright (C) 1996, Award Software, Inc.
Detecting HDD Primary Master ... IBM-DPTA-372050
Detecting HDD Primary Slave ... None
Detecting HDD Secondary Master... PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T
Detecting HDD Secondary Slave ... None_

PRESS DEL to enter SETUP
23/12/1999-I4402X-SNC60X-2A69KB0JC-00

If any kind and knowledgeable soul could help me get this I would be very grateful, I've been neglecting about this part for years and it's time to fix it.

Thank you!

P.S. the book will be in Italian and English is not my first language.

The Plextor 8432T was a high-end CD burner in 1999. Unlikely that somebody poor would be buying it second hand.

Also unlikely that a socket 7 board would have only 4 MB RAM, typically 8 MB was the minimum. In your BIOS screen you are showing 128 MB RAM (128 x 1024 = 131072).

IBM DPTA-372050 is a 20GB hard drive.

Is all this technical detail necessary for the story?

Thank you for your answer.

No, the technical detail are not necessary for the story.
Also the BIOS screen is a random one that I have to modify after having established the PC and its characteristics.

Could you please suggest me another PC with around 8 MB RAM and a small hard disk from the late 90's?

Thank you again

The conflict is that by the late 90s most people had a hard drive >2GB. Anyone with a hard drive <500MB was probably still using a 486, not a Pentium MMX 166.

It is possible to put together a system with a Pentium MMX 166, 8MB RAM, and a 350MB hard drive. But Compaq, Dell, etc. would not be selling a complete system like that because the parts are too mismatched.

More likely combinations would be:
Pentium MMX 166, 32MB RAM, 2GB hard drive (new in 1997)
or
486DX4 100, 8MB RAM, 350MB hard drive (new in 1994)

Both of those systems will run Windows 95, although the 486 will be significantly slower.

I think I will go with the first one, the one with the Pentium MMX 166. In this case which brand and model would it be?

I don't want to ask you to much, but if you have time, could you help me fix the errors/values in the BIOS screen, recommend me a site or link me a BIOS screenshot? I looked all over the internet (forums, youtube, ebay...) but it didn't help.

I tried to modify the memory test based on your indications.

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984-96, Award Software, Inc.

Version 6.201j900 (?)

PENTIUM-MMX CPU at 166MHz
Memory Test : 32768K OK (modified)

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Copyright (C) 1996, Award Software, Inc.
Detecting HDD Primary Master ... IBM-DPTA-372050 (?)
Detecting HDD Primary Slave ... None
Detecting HDD Secondary Master... PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T (?)
Detecting HDD Secondary Slave ... None_

PRESS DEL to enter SETUP
23/12/1999-I4402X-SNC60X-2A69KB0JC-00

Thank you and have a good day,
Antino

Back