• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Holmes Memory Expansion for Model I

Al Hartman

Veteran Member
There's an auction on eBay for a Model I system with the Holmes Memory Expansion installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281156215958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm tempted to buy the system just to get it.

If I can fix my original Model I, I'd like to center all the RAM in the keyboard unit rather than using the flakey RAM in the E/I.

If someone were to clone the Holmes board, they could count me in for two of them.

These were popular for a very short time until people worked out how to install 8x 4164 chips in the Model 1. At one point 16K chips were cheap enough to make the Holmes upgrade worthwhile, but pretty soon afterwards the cost of 8x 4164 chips dropped and most upgrades to the M1 required only a few trace cuts and soldered jumpers.

This Holmes board would also put a heavy load on the Model 1 power supply.

Ian.

Well, yeah. In cloning it, I'd expect someone to use 4164 chips to basically replicate the trace cut/soldered jumpers upgrade in a fashion that didn't require modifying the original board.

We put the Dennis Kitsz speedup mod into my Model I, and getting it to work with my E/I was a bear. If we had thought to center all the RAM in the keyboard unit, that would have been better.

If there's anyone near to Keansburg, NJ who can repair my Model I and E/I (it's beyond my skills), I would pay something reasonable for it. I bought another Model I, but my original has an ALPS Keyboard, a Lowercase mod, the Speedup Mod, Gold Plugs, and is my first computer.

My E/I isn't working either as the new keyboard unit I attached to it doesn't see it. I'm going to make a new interconnect cable when I'm feeling better and try it. I currently have my Model III all spread out on my kitchen table as I need to fix the interconnect cables on that first. I got the headers on Friday, but have been in too much pain to go track down my soldering tools and get it done.

Larry,

Yes, I saw that article, thank you. I'm wanting an upgrade that involves no hacking, cutting traces, or soldering. Unlike back in the day, Model I computers are now getting rare, and I'd like to be able to return one to stock if needed.

Back