• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hooking an Apple IIe to an HDMI monitor?

Well... Dave Schmenk's Apple II Pi has an HDMI connector on it: http://schmenk.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/?p=88

Personally, I don't buy video devices that don't have a plethora of connectors on them... they're not hard to find. Connector versatility is very important in this business. ;-)

Otherwise, you're talking about a converter... which is always a dicey proposition given the Apple II's (ahem) liberal interpretation of the NTSC signal.

Last edited:
There are some composite-to-HDMI converters available. I have no idea how well they work, in terms of image quality and lag. (The processing needed to convert the analog video signal to digital, de-interlace it, and upscale it to HD resolution can cause a delay, and if that delay is long enough, it can cause fast-action games to become unplayable. Even a lag of only 1/10th of a second can throw off your coordination and make the game more difficult to play.)

There are some composite-to-HDMI converters available. I have no idea how well they work, in terms of image quality and lag. (The processing needed to convert the analog video signal to digital, de-interlace it, and upscale it to HD resolution can cause a delay, and if that delay is long enough, it can cause fast-action games to become unplayable. Even a lag of only 1/10th of a second can throw off your coordination and make the game more difficult to play.)

I used a cheap monoprice composite to HDMI converter with an NES with no noticeable lag, I imagine if its lag is low enough for NES, its going to be low enough for an Apple II use.

Small amounts of lag may not be consciously noticable, but can still affect your play. The way to test is to get someone who can sore high on a game requiring quick reflexes. Have them play several games with and without the converter, and record the scores. Then do a t-test to see if there is a statistically significant difference.

Back