• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how do YOU define a "tweener?"

Thanks to all who replied. Just recently had a chance to log in again after a while.

I have two Athlon systems that seem to fit most definitions nicely except that they don't have any ISA slots. One has an Asus A7m266 motherboard running a 1.4Gz Athlon and 1Gb of DDR ram. Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card. Right now it has 1.2M and 360K floppy drives installed. Haven't plugged my USB 1.44 floppy into it yet. Right now it's running WinXP but it was quite happy with 98SE, even with 1Gb of ram. Thinking seriously of back-grading it to 98SE again.

The other is an MSI KT4 Ultra running a 2Gz Athlon and 1Gb of DDR-400 ram. It had a couple of SATA-1 ports on the motherboard, but I couldn't get them to work a long time ago. I've read that one needs SP3 under XP to get that to work. That may be why, as I don't think I had SP3 installed back then. It has an ATI Radeon 8500 AGP card.

Both have 2 serial, 1 parallel ports along with USB. Both have Ethernet 10/100 controllers, the Asus using a separate card and the MSI using an on-board controller.

I have an Asus PVI-486SP3 motherboard, but I think I killed the CPU. That's another story. Thinking of getting a 486dx2-66 chip on eBay to see if I can wake it up now I know which jumper settings to use.

Back