• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How does the Kaypro video work?

whartung

Veteran Member
I looked about on the web a bit, and it seems that the Kaypro video is an isolated, standalone system from the main board.

Does it interface simply through standard Z80 I/O ports? It has its own RAM, it's own clock, etc. It seems like it's more like an embedded serial terminal, without the serial interface but something more native. What display features did it support? Seems like it was only Blink.

There are Diagnostics for the Video that were written many years ago, and come with source.
They are on the Web along with Memory testing software. You might want to look at that
source to get more information.

If I remember correctly the video is mapped to 0x4000 and is 80 x 25 lines. There are more
video codes other than blinking. See attached Photo.

Larry

Attachments

• KayproVideo.png
    KayproVideo.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 24
I dug around until I found the Alignment Software and the screen starting address
is 0x3000.

Code:
00430         LD    HL,3000H    ;START OF VIDEO PAGE
00440         LD    DE,3001H    ;NEXT ADDR
00450         LD    BC,0BFFH    ;TOTAL VIDEO PAGE
00460         LD    (HL),20H    ;CLEAR SCREEN
00470         LDIR            ;BLOCK MOVE

This routine clears the screen.

Larry

To answer you question, there are two styles of video (from the computer's perspective) in Kaypros. The early models had video RAM mapped into the CPU address space after (and along with) the ROM, and used discrete logic to scan that RAM and produce the video signals. The later models used the Synertec 6545 CRT controller chip, sometimes with a custom LSI chip to replace some external logic, and video RAM isolated/hidden on the CRT controller bus (accessible from the CPU only by using CRT controller commands/actions), to produce the video signals. In both cases, all of this is done on the "mainboard", along side the CPU and peripheral chips. The video signals then go off-board to a separate video board that uses the signals to produce what is necessary to drive the cathode ray tube (high-voltage, etc). So, no, the Kaypro video is not like a separate terminal and it cannot function without the right software running on the CPU. There was a program provided that could make the Kaypro "act" like a terminal, but then you lose the computer portion of the Kaypro as it is running the "terminal" software.

This is in contrast, for example, to the Heathkit H89 where there is a separate, completely independent, "Terminal Logic Board" that is capable of functioning as a stand-alone terminal. The H89 has two Z80 CPUs, one drives the TLB while the other is the actual computer that the user programs run on.

The early Kaypro (video) supported only the reverse-video attribute. The later models supported reverse, high/low intensity, and blink, plus there was a coarse bitmap graphics capability.

On the non CRT controller types you also have the option to select another font with algebraic symbols if I recall correctly.
The video ram is not directly addressable unless you switch banks first. It is however always advisable, if you try to write software for CP/M for example, to use the proper 'hooks' for this and not write directly to screen memory.

If you need some 4-1-1 on the electronics of the video board, I waded into that swamp a while ago and have copious notes. Take a look here and send a PM and I will send you all that i have..

Captain Video.jpg

Back