• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to delete programs on hard drive xtree

Kevin Mooney

every time I try to delete a program it says that directory already exists. With the xtree program .I have a tandy 1000 tl with a 20 meg hard drive. How would I delete things off of it? Possibly without using xtree? What commands?

(What you should type is in brackets [])

If you're at the DOS prompt, the C:\ prompt, just change to the folder you want to delete [cd directoryname]. Do a [del *.*] to delete all the files in the directory. Then do a [cd ..] to go to one level above the current folder. Then do a [rd directoryname] to remove the folder. If there are sub-folders then the remove directory [rd] command will not work. It will also not work, as you have seen, if there are files in the directory. Deleting [del] all the files first solves that.

Depending on what version of DOS you are using, you can also, from the root (\) directory, type (without the quotes) "Deltree \nameofdirectory". It wil confirm that you want to remove the files, the directory and any files and directories under that directory.

Hidden, System and Read-Only files... nobody mentioned these file attributes. If you do the standard "del *.*", files with those attributes will NOT get deleted. The Deltree program doesn't care about those and will zap everything, regardless. Deltree does normally prompt you to be sure you want to do the delete. If you add "/y " to the command line, it won't ask first, ZAP! It can get very confusing because a normal "dir" won't display hidden files. So you think the directory is empty and it isn't. Depending on your version of DOS, you can do a "dir /a " and it will show all the files, hidden, system, read-only, all of them. Whew, I'll skip the "attrib" command for now.

Back