• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to format a Disk on Module (DOM) in old 286 or 386 motherboard under DOS?

upnorth

Experienced Member
I have a 128 MB Disk on Module (DOM) which I inserted directly into the controller card (actually a multi-I/O card) and armed with the information in https://www.acceed.com/manuals/DOM Manual.pdf (see Appendix A) I proceeded to boot the computer, set the BIOS parameters for "Drive type 47" and then booted from a PC DOS 7.0 floppy. Using FDISK I created a primary DOS partition, but this is where all the fun and games end. Formatting it returns an error, and formatting is always terminated prematurely. When formatting via the PC DOS installation utility, I get "an error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk partition".

What am I to do?

I assume I will run into the same or similar problem later on when I try to use a CF card in one of these old systems, so I hope that the help you provide may be of use in that scenario as well.

UPDATE: format worked correctly when I used a DR DOS 6.0 boot disk. I am about to boot from the DOM. Fingers crossed.

UPDATW 2: yep, I did boot correctly.

Last edited:
What is drive type 47? enter manual CylinderHeadSector? auto detect? Or some fixed parameters?

Drive type 47 is user defined, i.e. you type in the CHS data - the one I indicated I found in the table in Appendix A of the file I linked to.

UPDATE - I think I got it to work using a DR DOS 6.0 floppy.
And now booting from the DOM worked flawlessly.

Back