• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to setup Word 5.5 correctly on an Olivetti M24?

1ST1

Veteran Member
Word 5.5 (and 5.0) supports the Olivetti M24 / AT&T 6300 640x400 graphics mode. I tryed that recently and I was disappointed, it looks like that graphics mode driver requires to have a machine with GO329 / DEB (Display Enhancement Board) to support 640x400 in 16 colors. If I install Word 5.5 on a M24 without that card, it looks like unuseable as for example the document text is not readable, it is grey in grey. Also the windows elements mostly not visible, only the menu bar on top. When I switch back to text mode everything is fine. (you can download my word 5.5 setup files from vetusware, available is german and english version)

Yes, you can download it at microsoft.com, but only english, not german version, and that english version at MS misses a lot of printer drivers... I have created new setup packages by mixing files from different sources...

MS Word 4 should support AT&T 6300 graphics modes right off. It recommends including SET OLIVETTI = true in AUTOEXEC to make detection of the video card easier.

There is a note within the 5.5 documentation on how to setup a special combination of CSD and GSD files to make a specific driver combination. Poorly explained, of course. Maybe another option with MAKEVID would work better. The printed documentation is supposed to have a chapter on installing but I can't find where I put the binders.

Under the View menu are options to change to colors being used. Maybe it is possible to switch some colors away from gray. I don't have an Olivetti system to test against.

Back