• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP 712 and NextStep 3.3 for PA-RISC

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I recently got a very nice HP 712. It boots fine into NextStep 3.3. However I do not have the log in user or password. Is there a default user/password I can try? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask.

In case there isn't I figure I will have to get the PA-RISC version of NextStep 3.3 and install that over the current installation. I looked around and the PA-RISC version is not as popular. Black Hole (link) has it but it is $795 which is a bit more than I want to pay for a hobby OS. Are there any other legal ways to get it?

Failing that, what OS would I be able to install on the machine?

Regards,
Vlad.

Ok, so I manage to log into the system using single user mode. Is there a way to add an user from there that I can log into using normal boot? Linux style adduser command does not seem to exist.

I also found out there is a user called "me" and I tried changing the password of using "passwd" command while booted in single user mode, but that did not seem to have sticked. I could not log in using it.

Any ideas?

Vlad.

From the FAQ

6.35 Lost root password

root, password password, root

The following is a method on how to change the root password on an
Intel based computer. However if the system is booted over a network
this won't help.

Boot in single user mode supplying '-s' to the boot prompt. Once the
system is halted. Start NetInfo by running 'sh /etc/rc'. Now use 'nu
-m' to change the password and reboot (enterying 'reboot' of course.
Not pressing the power button! I didn't had to tell this, did I?)

Or after 'sh /etc/rc' use 'passwd root' to change the root password. After rebooting as root, you should be able to change/remove existing users and add new ones.

FAQ location: http://www.levenez.com/NeXTSTEP/faq.html

Back