• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP 9000 installation/connecting to...

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Hi Guys, been some time but I have some questions:

I've acquired some nice (to me anyway, as a Solaris/Tru64 fan long ago) machine for my collection: one HP Integrity RX2600 (with two Itanium2 CPU), one HP Integrity RP3440 (with that cool PA8900 1GHz/64MB cache CPU) and one HP 9000/800 E35 (from the 90ies, you know from when everything was cool and life was fun!).

I'm struggling with connecting to these machines. For one: the RX2600 has the MP board installed (I don't have the three split cable yet), and connecting to the iLO RJ45 doesn't work. I don't know the address but the manual says pressing MP Reset for more than 5secs should put it back to DHCP... seems from no. I can see LED changing when pressing the Reset, but NetScan won't find it. Still have to try it on the RP3440 though, but thought I'd ask here if I missed something. Serial A and Serial B also won't connect. The server is OK (except for System flashing orange but I can't get to the MP logs), when I turn it on I can see it loading the OS. Also when I press the OFF button momentarily I can see the harddisk do stuff (just like RedHat 5.2 will do when stopping services and daemons) and after about 15 secs the system turns itself off.

The RP3440 also boots but the System LED flashes red (also that one doesn't have an OS yet)... so will have to check into that (otherwise I have a nice CPU/Power Module for display), but since these are nice servers to play with (I have HP-UX 11i for them on CD) and they don't make a lot of noise... I'd like to get them running (we don't see much of PA-RISC or Itanium here in Holland).

Finally the HP 9000/800 E35 seems OK as well, boots OS, (I think) because I'm still waiting for a 25p-male to 9p-female cable to connect to it. I have the MUX board with it that's connected to the I/O board... So I think I should be able to get to it from my PC with either putty or some other VTerm program (or from what I saw: Serial seems to be a good one to run from my Mac with a USB->COM cable). Problem with this machine is actually that it's missing the "HP 9000 series" label that's on the top front of the bezel. I know it's a long shot, but anyone happen to have this from a broken HP 9000?? It's a rectangular shaped plate with "HP 9000" on it and from what I can see on the bezel it's attached to it with 3 plastic rods (so I guess it fell out somewhere)... I got it from someone who had it lying around on the attic for many years and he didn't know if it would even boot but it did. Only thing that was "wrong with it" was that the switch on the CPU board was flipped over to "Service" and one flipped back to "Normal" and rebooting I got green Status LED etc... so looks good (until I can connect to it that is).

Anyone more familiar with these machines that might be of assistance? One I can get into the iLO I think I can get around with them. TIA!!

Dennus

OK, one (possibly two) problem(s) solved... had a brilliant idea about taking out the MP board from the RP3440 and take the battery off, went right to DHCP with default login and I can see the logs etc now (I can access the iLO with telnet now). Very happy, now I can setup console and start playing with them (or at least the RP3440, will do the same with the RX2600 next) :)

YAY!!!

Back