• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HX-20 Battery faulty?

idlebiker

Hi all I'm new here so forgive me if there is a thread covering this issue already.

I've got a Epson HX-20 Silver European Version from Ebay (a lovely toy) alas it's not alive. I was told that the adapter doesn't work. Apparently it does, it just doesn't power up with nor without the adapter. I'm guessing the batteries are refusing to hold a charge. Would I be wrong? I've ordered a new battery. Have I got a dead one?

Paul

Sounds like a "perfect guess" to me. I know my PX-8 runs off the battery ONLY! If it doesn't have enough of a charge, the computer won't boot up at all. So..... when the new battery arrives, charge it up for at least 10 minutes then turn the HX on. We are both betting that it will come right up. You obviously will need to leave the adapter plugged in for at least 8 hours to get the battery up to snuff.

Good call. Both the HX-20 & PX-8 require that the battery pack have some charge, or no power-up (although with the PX-8, it's the internal battery that must have some juice).
When you get the new battery pack, be sure not to leave the charger plugged in for more than 8 hours at a time, else battery life will be shortened due to overcharging. (The PX-8 however, has overcharge protection built-in). Also, as with any other NiCad battery, do not charge for less than 8 hours, to prevent 'memory effect' from shortening the running time.

--T

I bought it from ebay

Such an amazing gadget, some of my friends can't wait to see it.

But at the moment there isn't any software or anything.. the tapes are blank. So just typed up a couple last night to check the tapes. It's all in fully working order.

I'm just hoping to get some more programs for me to type and perhaps one of these Banner program I so often hear about. I need to work out some of the basic commands as it's nothing like the BBC/Dragon Computers I've used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160094819494

Last edited:
Back