• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I am interested in hooking up to web conferencing & web phone to offer & get support.

I am interested in hooking up to web conferencing & web phone to offer & get support.

I am interested in hooking up to people through Skype/ AOL AV or other system(s) to offer and obtain computer support though have never yet done so if you are familiar with how to hook up to such please send to me a private email with a return email address and or telephone number or other paper mail address to get back in contact with you as well as your name. Likely the best way to get hooked up help would be with a phone call. With AOL AV and or Skype one of them mentioned the need for a built in web cam is a built in web cam the only web cam that will work on one of the service above and if yes on which service?? Sincerely, Steven

I am interested in hooking up to people through Skype/ AOL AV or other system(s) to offer and obtain computer support though have never yet done so if you are familiar with how to hook up to such please send to me a private email with a return email address and or telephone number or other paper mail address to get back in contact with you as well as your name. Likely the best way to get hooked up help would be with a phone call. With AOL AV and or Skype one of them mentioned the need for a built in web cam is a built in web cam the only web cam that will work on one of the service above and if yes on which service?? Sincerely, Steven

. . . Why?

I haven't done it more than playing with it early on and seeing how much it sucked but any webcam your system recognizes will show up as an option in the chat programs. You can even do this just in most messenger programs for free (I think Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and whatever others are out there support video chat for free to other users). Also some folks have interestingly been using youtube to video a problem and ask for help in the comments or for training type videos. Pretty cool use of technology.

I suppose with an expensive cell on both ends one could also do video chat/streaming/sharing but that would assume most people have smart phones with cameras and unlimited plans which I understand is not the majority.

if i am trying to help someone else work on there computer from a remote location i usually use showmypc.com. i have used it to fix my sisters computer and she lives in Alberta and i live in Ontario.

I haven't tried showmypc, but often we'll use teamviewer.com at our office. It's a relatively small executable on the user's end, has encryption, bypasses firewalls and routers, and best of all for my particular circumstance, generates a random session # and password which they must provide to me in order for me to get into their desktop, as well as accepting my request to take over their pc once I'm "in." Their controls also supersede mine at any time, so if they don't like what I'm doing, they click X and it logs me out immediately.

I've found that this and a phone call work best. If you must avoid cell/landline usage, then use the voice chat on any instant messenger. It's free, and it works. And it saves you the trouble of telling them how to sign up for skype, since most modern computer users already have one form of IM client or another to begin with - you find out what they have, sign in with your account, and voice-chat them up.

What is nice about AOL AV is it does not need any software so no software conflicts.

What is nice about AOL AV is it does not need any software so no software conflicts.

What is nice about AOL AV is it does not need any software so no software conflicts. I have been told many of web conferencing and web phonne call systems require software and that the person you are contacting have the same software. If one gets many different types of software for the same or about thye nsame purpose you have increased likleiness of software conflicts and some may require firmware that can not be uninstalled or require special software to unintall software. Soiftware sometimes is easy to install and use and sometimers is dificult to install and use sometimes I had to do a complete memory drive recovery to get software fully unistalled and then had to reinstall and reocnfigure lots of things a major job. So if anyone would like to try AOL AV with me please send me a private email form your email address with a phone number so I can call you to get this set up or you may send me a private email requesting my telephone number to call me to set this up, okay? Sincerely, Steven Seattle, WA
U. S. A. videoperson@gmail.com

Back