• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

i am thinking about building some power adapter cables

84TAVeRT

Experienced Member
i noticed that AT and XT psu units are starting to get difficult to find, so i am planning to make myself some test cables from a couple of burned up psu units...

basically, I am going to use an ATX power supply extension cable, then add the connectors for the XT and AT and a power switch to control the on off function of the power supply...

i figure a 600watt ATX psu board will fit into an AT/XT power supply case pretty easy, but i really want it for a bench testing tool...

does anyone see a problem with this idea...

thanks,
Chris

The entire PC line such as that 5150 PC 5160 XT and 5170 AT use a normal AT Powersupply.

So any PSU from a 386-486 and P1's would work as long as it's AT (two mobo connectors, black next to black)

i noticed that AT and XT psu units are starting to get difficult to find, so i am planning to make myself some test cables from a couple of burned up psu units...

basically, I am going to use an ATX power supply extension cable, then add the connectors for the XT and AT and a power switch to control the on off function of the power supply...

i figure a 600watt ATX psu board will fit into an AT/XT power supply case pretty easy, but i really want it for a bench testing tool...

does anyone see a problem with this idea...

thanks,
Chris

Might want to check here first. It would probably be far easier to gut an AT power supply and remount it inside an XT PSU case rather than make a bunch of adapters. I found the MTBF and guarantees (as well as physical size) far more amiable to most projects.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058 1131317198&name=AT

I buy from these guys all the time. They back up their stuff.

that is most of what i had in mind...

i want to add a couple of extra connectors though... mac g3 & commodore colt to be specific... :)

the mac only requires severing one wire in the extension... but the colt is a 6 wire connector that i have yet to test voltages on to see if it is even standard...

i will probably buy one of those connectors though...

thanks for the link...

later,
Chris

Back