• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I Couldnt Believe It!

Bill_Loguidice said:
This can be and has been argued from many different angles, but if Atari had in fact decided to market the Famicom as their own, it likely would have been disastrous. History has proven that it took a new player, an outsider, to get things going again. Let's also not forget that Nintendo teamed up with Worlds of Wonder for marketing and distribution purposes. Sega went with Tonka for the Master System. Both companies eventually went fully on their own.

Ah, but Nintendo never asked Atari to market the FamiCom, they asked Atari to market the Nintendo Entertainment System (or, if earlier (I can't remember), the Advanced Video System)!

atari2600a said:
Ah, but Nintendo never asked Atari to market the FamiCom, they asked Atari to market the Nintendo Entertainment System (or, if earlier (I can't remember), the Advanced Video System)!

It was the Famicom technology, not the NES as we ended up seeing it that Atari was presented with. The AVS you're talking about was a very sleek design (again, just a US variation of the Famicom technology) and was what was ultimately presented at CES by Nintendo, but the press reaction was lukewarm, as everyone at the time believed videogames were dead and it was foolish to release a new console. Nintendo ended up simplifying things greatly and essentially presented the system as a robot toy to get it carried in stores (again, through sales/distribution partner Worlds of Wonder). In any case, it all does go back to the Famicom, which all iterations were based off of. It's why you find certain original NES games with Famicom converters in the cartridges - same system, just different cartridge connectors and system power output.

Ah, but you're forgetting that the NES has the NES10 lockout chip that's required in all cartridges/Cartridge adaptors! Plus, the expantion slot on the bottom & the accompaning circuitry for it (& the 10 reserved cartridge contacts)!

Spectravideo

Spectravideo

The SpectraVideo in my collection is current non-working. Somee SpectraVideo machines predate the MSX standard, but some of the later models are MSX compatible. Curiously, It appears the MS had the spectravideo hardware in mind when they made the MSX specification.
Several other computers from the same time frame had similar hardware. (e.g. Memotech MTX512). If the tapes are for a SVI738 or a SVI328, they may work on any MSX computer or maybe not.

Back