• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I do need help, big time, with 486 boards

Your prices are a bit above my price range, and maybe the price range of everyone else here. Are you a spammer?

Of course he isn't. He has a business selling product that is of particular interest on this forum. Note too that he didn't even put a live link, but just mentioned his site. I'm pretty sure you're welcome to not buy from him if you so wish. :)

Also, he's never posted anything here with more than one sentence in the post, no matter how long it might be or what grammer might suggest/dictate. No capitals, no periods, everything he says is just one long run-on-sentence. Kinda reminds me of first or second grade level essays. That doesn't go over too well, especially knowing that there are plenty of individuals here who speak English as a second or even third language who have that little bit of the language under control.

That doesn't go over too well, especially knowing that there are plenty of individuals here who speak English as a second or even third language who have that little bit of the language under control.

He did state in the thread below this one that he had recently suffered a stroke.

FOR YOUR 486 STRAIGHT DX50 CPU THERE WERE VERY FEW MOTHERBOARDS MADE THAT WOULD SUPPORT IT THERE WAS SOME TYPE OF BARRIER IN THE 40+MZ RANGE that is why most boards will support a 40 mz chip look at intel when they did pci slots to run only at 33mz i have many boards for sale on my webstore pcequip.com tested working with memory and cpu with the board i do have vlb boards even a pci/isa with a vlb slot

Poor guy, was just tryin to help ya ... TBH some of his stuff is priced reasonable , plus have you checked ebay lately? Most the prices seems to be below the jacked up prices. 100 bux for a 486 motherboard on ebay lately, its insane...

Good example , the 586 cpu on there, its 30 bux. I paid 15 for just the cpu (5x86 133 porcelain ver) , and another 18 for the voltage converter. If I had seen that I might have grabbed that instead, def have saved a few bux...
http://pcequip.com/product_info.php?cPath=78_79&products_id=438

My bad, accept my apology for the spammer crack, ya get so used to seeing things like that and it ends up being spam. Anyhoo, no offense I still wouldn't pay 80 for a 486er, but that's just me. I do know there are 50mhz vlb main oatds, and that the vlb can be forced to stay at 33mhz, which is what I would do. News though, my Telebit went puhff today. No vlb card in slot 2 and a big cluster or traces were burned off, even though it was jumpered properly for a dx33. I'm guessing the voltage regulator went boobs up..

Wondering if that VL bus video card you were trying to use had a dead short to ground somewhere, or a dead cap, which in turn is blowing out the voltage regulators. Definitely a possibility. :S Eek! Sorry to hear your misfortune. =(

But if thats all its doing , shouldn't be that hard to replace the VR's and recap your other boards. I still invest in that meter, maybe you can bring one of your other boards back from the dead with it. Luckily most 486 motherboards only were 2-3 layers, so not that hard to repair thankfully, provided your handy with a soldering iron. Shame you weren't local, I take one or 2 to repair just for the challenge. I seem to have more fun repairing stuff then actually using it! xD

It looks like the "2mb Weitek 9000 VLB Video card" has ruined every 486 motherboard on which you have tested it, except for the "telebit motherboard" where you haven't tested it because it has no working VLB slot.

First action, get a gun (you have guns at home in USA, right?), and shoot the hell out of the that VESA video card.

Second action, have you tried removing the CMOS battery, to reset the BIOS configuration, and see what happens next when you try to boot the system?

Also, have you changed the jumper's configuration? Did you take notes of the orginal configuration for your jumpers?

I have a similiar 486 motherboard, an Elitegroup UM4910 Rev:1.0, talked about in this thread. In that thread there is a link to a full resolution photo of my motherboard as it is configured, but it's true that all jumpers and their configuration don't show up clearly in it.

And finally, here you have the manual for your motherboard, where every jumper and its function is explained.

Last edited:
While on the subject of 486 motherboards, I have UM 4980 ver 2 or 2.1 motherboard, if anyone has the manual for this, could they send me a copy,
I looked online and found only 1 copy of it and its like very blurry. THNKS!

Back